Installing Retrofit LED Recessed Can Lights in High Ceiling

Old 01-30-19, 01:04 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing Retrofit LED Recessed Can Lights in High Ceiling

I'm a little stumped as to how I should proceed to complete what I originally was thinking was going to be a simple job as I had replaced numerous other recessed ceiling lights with retrofit kits. In my home, I have 18ft high ceilings with 6" recessed downlights installed in the ceiling. I've changed the bulbs using those extendable poles with suction cup no problem. I wanted to increase the lighting output and found a good deal on the 6" 150-Watt Equivalent 2700K Soft White Integrated LED Recessed Downlight Retrofit Trim. They pump out 1600 lumens of 90+ CRI light so I was happy. However, I'm not sure how I should go about installing these lights. Really, when it comes down to it, I just need to figure out a way to remove the currently installed baffles. The springs inside would be almost impossible for me to get unhooked using the pole or something of the like. I have a 22ft ladder and I was able to use it to switch out one of the lights by hand, but the rest of the lights are too far away from an adjacent wall and would require me reaching far (which I am not going to do 18ft off the ground) away from the wall potentially ending up with me losing my balance and going splat on the ground below. If I can get the baffles removed, it'd just be a matter of me screwing the screw bulb adapter into the ceiling socket, then pushing the light into the ceiling and letting the spring arms hold it in place. Anyone have any suggestions on how I could remove the current trim/baffles without putting me in a position to easily fall? The lights are new work full size fixtures so removing from above would be a bit of a pain and the baffle would be an issue preventing me from pulling up the fixture from above. This is the light in question: https://creebulb.com/150-watt-replac...sed-soft-white Do I have to have a cherry picker or scaffolding to do this myself or is there an easier solution I just am overlooking? Thanks for the advice.

Old 01-30-19, 05:52 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Borrow or rent a tall step ladder that doesn't need to lean against the wall.

Old 01-30-19, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's what we use...... 12', 14', 16' stepladders.
Home Depot rents 12' and 14' ladders. You'll need two people to carry them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: