Replacing box with LED recessed fixture on a 3 way switch

Old 01-25-19, 06:42 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing box with LED recessed fixture on a 3 way switch

I purchased some slim LED recessed lights to replace some old out dated fixtures. My issue is the box for the new lights only have 2 knockouts but the fixture has 3 separate leads due to it being a 3 way switch. I have never replaced a fixture with 3 leads and Im a little hesitant. Regular can recessed lights I've used have numerous knockouts. I will post some pics here shortly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-19, 06:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
A fixture has a junction box that is sized for a certain amount of cables. It's not unlimited. Your new fixtures probably have a smaller junction box and therefore less knockouts.

A three way circuit doesn't mean three cables at the fixture. Technically..... a lighting fixture should only have one cable supplying power in. Possibly a second one to go to a second fixture.

How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-28-19, 01:39 AM
D
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
TURN OFF the power before connecting LED's. An open neutral can blow them up. 3 ways have more wires between the switches the fixture still works on hot, neutral and ground.
The guy that wired your home may have run the workings for the 3 ways through the light fixture boxes. Count your wires,

Old 01-29-19, 01:14 PM
S
I always turn off power before doing any electrical and also test the wires with a meter just to be sure. Even though I know thank you for the reminder and explaining why. I've never replaced a fixture to a recessed light, let alone dealt with 3 separate wires going to one fixture. I provided some pics to better explain. Im a little hesitant to do it as the junction box only has 2 knockouts.

Name:  l1.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  148.2 KB

Name:  l2.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  26.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-29-19 at 04:50 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 01-29-19, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
A fixture has a junction box that is sized for a certain amount of cables. It's not unlimited. Your new fixtures probably have a smaller junction box and therefore less knockouts.
I posted this earlier. This is your problem. There is no room for three cables in there.

You would need to use an intermediate junction box. You can wire and put an intermediate box in the ceiling behind the fixture as it is accessible in the future by code requirement. The only problem I can see is it will be tough to wire thru the small hole and if the wires don't have any slack on them.

It may be easier to install a larger diameter fixture which would come with a larger junction box.

Name:  handy box.JPG
Views: 37
Size:  7.0 KB

Old 01-31-19, 06:40 AM
S
That makes sense. I figured using a larger fixture would be my only solution at this point. I'm going to hold off now as I plan on remodeling that room later this year. I can't thank you all enough for taking the time to help.