Adding Ceiling Fan and switch from existing outlet

Old 01-28-19, 06:28 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding Ceiling Fan and switch from existing outlet

I am currently renovating an upstairs loft and would like to add a ceiling fan that is controlled by a switch.

I have access to an end of the run outlet that is wired with 12-2. I was planning on running a power wire from the existing outlet to the switch and then a separate wire from the switch to the ceiling fan. Because of the layout, running the wire from the switch to the fan would involve a long run at a high point and more hole drilling but it is accessible and I could do it.

So far I have installed the box for the switch and pulled a wire from the switch to the outlet, but I have not run anything to the fan location yet.

Running a wire from the ceiling fan location to the existing outlet is a short run that would not require any additional drilling.

Is it possible to have some sort of junction at the existing outlet joining up with the wire coming from the new switch box? Or should I just run a wire directly from the ceiling fan to the switch?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-19, 06:51 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 01-28-19, 07:01 AM
M
Thank you for the diagram.

If I understand this correctly it shows the black and white wires that would run from the receptacle to the new switch. Then run wire from the switch to the ceiling fan. What does the red wire represent?

Old 01-28-19, 07:35 AM
J
Received 202 Votes on 178 Posts
Ceiling fans often have lights as well as a fan. The extra the red wire allows you to control the light and fan separately. Even if you don't want a light now it is advisable to install the three wire cable and just cap the red for now.

The additional junction box is fine as long as it remains accessible with a cover. However I would just run the cable from the switch back towards the receptacle and up to the ceiling without the junction box.

Old 01-28-19, 08:26 AM
M
I bought a roll of 12-2 to cover both the wire from the existing receptacle to the switch and for the ceiling fan to the switch. Since this does not have the extra wire necessary to operate the light separately from the fan, could I buy a 12 gauge red wire and run that with the 12-2 , or is that a bad idea? I could just buy some 12-3 but since I already have the 12-2 I am just trying to not waste it.

Old 01-28-19, 09:37 AM
J
Received 202 Votes on 178 Posts
NO. You can not run a separate red wire.
You are not required to run a three wire cable. It just advisable for future proofing.