Old House Wiring Issues

Old 02-02-19, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old House Wiring Issues

I live in a house that was built pre 1960's and have come across some pretty strange wiring. So far I have figured out what they did and brought it up to my local code. I am currently working on a nursery and yet again in have come across a strange wiring issue.

Just to clarify, the wire used in most of the house is only 2 wires, Black for hot and White for neutral, there is no ground.

I am replacing a ceiling fan and I took down the fan to find that the ceiling box had 3 sets of wires in it. All of the white wires were twisted together and then connected to the fan. 2 of the black wires were connected together and the 3rd black was connected to the fan, which then traveled to the switch.

After taking out the fan, I tried wiring in a simple singl bulb light until I finish painting the room. After which I will put up the new fan.

My thought was that they were using the ceiling box as 2 things. 1. A box to mount the light too and 2. A Junction box. So I wired the through wires together accordingly and wired the neutral and hot wires from the switch to the light. Turned the breaker back on and got nothing on the light.

Has anyone run across this wiring issue? What could be the case of the light not coming on?

Any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-19, 09:38 AM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
You said the fan black was connected to a single black. What was the fan white connected to? Did the switch turn the fan on and off?
What colour wires are connected to the switch?

Old 02-02-19, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you took the fan down..... it should have been connected with two wires.
If those two wires operated the fan..... the bulb should have worked too.

Old 02-04-19, 05:16 AM
Received 22 Votes on 22 Posts
Hi, if there are just 2 conductors going to the switch then the white is not a Neutral, connect the white from your lamp to the whites that are spliced together, connect the black to the single black, basically connect the light the same way the fan was, by code that white coming from the switch should be colored black or any color but white or green.
Geo