new balllast issues

Old 02-07-19, 08:32 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy new balllast issues

Recently I replaced an ancient ballast on a fixture that has 2 4' T12 Hg bulbs, with a new ballast from HD.
It worked impeccably for a week then died. I tested the new ballast with ohmmeter: dead.
There are no starters on this old lamp.

So I bought another of the same supposedly correct ballasts (HD has total hardware monopoly in this area). Installed it. One tube worked fine but other only partially now. I exchanged the 2 tube locations with each other, and now both are only partial. I really doubt the tubes or sockets went bad suddenly as they were fine until the 1st new ballast died.
I fiddled and fiddled with the tubes to no avail.

The wires were carefully stripped and tightened very tight with the correct size nuts.
The one nut grounding and holding the ballast is as tight as I dare make it.
There are no starters on this old lamp.
Baffled.

Old 02-07-19, 08:48 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
None of us like to deal with the small, hard to read, technical print, but in your case, you must read the label on your new ballast to find your lamp listed in that tiny chart. If the lamp your purchase, t-12, t-8, whatever, is not listed, then the ballast will not work properly and that is when you get failures that can not be explained.

Old 02-07-19, 08:53 AM
A
Never mind!
In total desperation I attempted the totally illogical (to my rookie mind) step of replacing the tubes with new ones, and now it works perfectly again!
No idea why they both would go from perfectly fine to bad with such timing. Of course these tubes were likely a few years old.
Fingers crossed that things will stay working...

Old 02-07-19, 02:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 793 Votes on 730 Posts
In the future don't bother replacing the ballast. Just buy LED replacement bulbs. You throw away the ballast and the LED bulbs are line powered by 120VAC. More energy efficient and no more ballast problems.

Old 02-11-19, 05:59 AM
A
I read so much scary stuff about LED bulbs that I am waiting until safer ones come out.

Old 02-11-19, 06:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What is unsafe about LED bulbs? I never heard that?

Old 02-12-19, 04:47 AM
B
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
I don't have any experience, but what happens when you put a type X LED bulb in a fixture wired for type Y being there are type A,B and C LED bulbs and fixtures?

Old 02-12-19, 07:49 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Not scarier than any electrical work. There is always a possibility of tripping a breaker doing any electrical if you do it wrong.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: