Installing a flush ceiling light in place of old recessed light

Old 02-11-19, 12:38 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Installing a flush ceiling light in place of old recessed light

I recently purchased a flush mount light to install in the hallway of my home (see pic). I've installed a few lighting fixtures before and I was so excited to replace the old hideous light I have that I completely overlooked the mechanics of how to wire and secure the new light over the old recessed square hole cut into the wall. It is about 9 inches wide and the flush light I bought is 16 inches wide- I naively thought that I could cover the old square hole with no issues. However, the mounting bracket on the new light is supposed to be screwed onto a traditional outlet box (which is non existent in my old lighting box/hole) leaving me with nothing to attached the bracket to in order to secure the fixture to the ceiling. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I attached the instructions that came with the new fixture and a pic of what fixture I am currently working with.

How can I go about connecting and securing this new light? Do I replace the electrical box? And can I ensure it is safely secured and wont fall out if I do so? Any advice is greatly appreciated?!

Name:  l1.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  l1a.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  70.5 KB

Name:  l1b.JPG
Views: 83
Size:  74.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-11-19 at 03:44 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-19, 01:06 PM
J
Received 201 Votes on 178 Posts
The only way is to remove that old fixture. Install a proper electrical box and patch the ceiling.
There is no way the properly attach the new fixture to that old light.

Old 02-11-19, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

When you pull that light out you should find it framed in wood. Once the light is out you can see what is needed to be added to attach a box. You can cut the hole a 1/2"-3/4" bigger so that there is a place to fasten a new piece of sheet rock.