Solar Yard Lights Worth It?

Old 02-17-19, 09:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar Yard Lights Worth It?

I have a very expensive patio and don't want to rip it up or dig around it to provide power to yard lights. Are there any solar lights that could be semi-equivalent to real yard lights? I typically buy the cheapies for the yard but wanted to see if there is something that actually lasts a few years and provides enough light to simulate something near real yard lights.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-19, 10:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,174 Votes on 1,089 Posts
I have not found any solar/battery lights that are equivalent to electric ones or that will even hold up for a year or two.

Have you considered low voltage lighting. The cable can be hidden or slightly buried.
The new LED lights are really good.

Old 02-18-19, 06:20 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Agreed, I have not seen any solars lights that are really any good for lamination.
Geo

Old 02-18-19, 10:30 AM
S
I have not found any solar/battery lights that are equivalent to electric ones or that will even hold up for a year or two.

Have you considered low voltage lighting. The cable can be hidden or slightly buried.
The new LED lights are really good.
This won't work in the front as the only outlet is by the front door and you'd see the wire running down the steps. But, I have electrical in the back via my pool equipment. This is promising. I would plug into the outlet, bury the wire, and just install the lights wherever I want. And, this would be much brighter than solar? Correct?

I have a few other lights on the top of the 1st floor that shine on the backyard but they are ugly yellow and not high enough.

Old 02-18-19, 10:32 AM
Group Moderator
Yes...... your plan is good. You may need to have an outdoor receptacle installed in the front of the house in an out of the way location to service that area.

Old 02-18-19, 08:14 PM
S
Thanks for the help. Here's some pictures for references. I am not sure why yellow bulbs were used so low on the house? I am thinking I can replace them with brighter white bulbs and maybe consider making them higher for brighter/wide coverage.

Attached Images       
Old 02-19-19, 06:13 AM
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Hi, check out this link, you can chat with them also to get some feed back, I have had good luck here.
https://www.rablighting.com/feature/...rdering-matrix
Geo

Old 02-19-19, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
Nice house and setup.

Those lights should have been installed in the soffits up at the roof.

Old 02-19-19, 07:52 PM
S
Nice house and setup.

Those lights should have been installed in the soffits up at the roof.
Thank you sir. There's house down the road for sale that you might like. I could use a handy chap like you around.

And, I was afraid you were going to say that. The previous owners spared no expense in this house but have made questionable decisions. Would there be any advantage to changing bulbs? Or, do I need to relocate? The outside is the focal point for the family so I want to make sure we can really take advantage of it.

Old 02-20-19, 12:27 PM
S
Evan K's post was deleted? I checked member list and he doesn't exist?

Old 02-20-19, 01:01 PM
Group Moderator
Yes..... his post was promoting his company. Advertising is not allowed in the forums.
I sent you a PM (private message)

Old 02-20-19, 08:08 PM
S
Thank you sir. I thought the links were a bit self-promoting. I like your idea about low voltage lighting. I'll talk to my electrician about adding a GFI outlet off of the pool equipment. I was hoping to do it to the front but I don't see any easily accessible lines. For the pool/patio area, I HOPE a combination of low voltage lighting and a change to brighter/white bulbs is adequate. I'd rather not have to move the lights up but I will if it is worth it. The problem with all of this is that it isn't easy to check the end result until the installation is complete? I guess I could just lay the wire on the ground and check the placement at night to simulate.

Old 10-25-20, 07:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 220 Votes on 194 Posts
I recently was at a retail commercial property that was remodeled and they had some solar LED pole lights in the parking lot. They provided enough illumination to light the lot adequately. Google "solar pole lights" to get started. Be sure you are sitting down as there will be some sticker shock.