Ceiling light stays on

Old 02-18-19, 03:11 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling light stays on

A couple months ago, our hall ceiling light stopped turning off. There were no changes to the switch, fixture, bulbs, or any other electrical in that area to my knowledge. I finally replaced the switch today, but the light still won't turn off.

There are two cloth-covered wires in the switch box and likely an armored cable leading up to the box. The overhead light has an armored cable with one wire going to the light bulbs and one going elsewhere, as well as a neutral feeding the light bulbs from somewhere other than the armored cable. The building was built around 1910. There are two other units in the building.

How can I diagnose this issue?

Thanks,
Stephen

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-19, 03:21 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sometimes the best answer isn't the easiest. I'd run new wiring.

Old 02-18-19, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Your description of the circuit sounds like a switch loop. The power comes in at the light and a two wire cable is sent down to the switch to just switch the hot wires. The cable may use white and black but both are technically hot. Since the circuit was working and is no longer now..... the most likely problem is the two wires in the switch line are touching each other. It would usually be at one of the ends but if the cable was bent sharp enough.... it could happen anywhere along it.

Old cloth covered wiring is a bear to work with. Just looking at cable that old can cause the insulation to crumble.