DC motor ceiling fan, running off DC circuit?

Old 02-22-19, 06:43 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DC motor ceiling fan, running off DC circuit?

Greetings,

I'm trying to find information on how to run a regular store-bought DC motor ceiling fan off of a DC circuit. I'm trying to run as many appliances off of DC as possible and I was wondering if anyone has specs or experience by passing the AC inverter or whatever these fans have installed in them.

obviously they are made for the average home that runs primarily off of AC power I'm just hoping there are no known issues doing this and I'm guessing the lights would primarily run off of DC as well on a predominant DC motor ceiling fan? I just don't want to waste money buying an expensive ceiling fan and having it not work properly or some type of issue arise in the future.. thanks

Old 02-22-19, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,881 Upvotes on 3,478 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You may find some fans that use a DC brush type motor that run off a straight DC voltage but most of the DC motors used in ceiling fans are three phase DC. The AC is converted to pulsing three phase power. As far as I know you aren't going to easily use a store bought DC fan made for 120vAC operation in your application.

You may find low voltage DC fans in a solar supply catalog for off the grid living.

Old 02-26-19, 07:25 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
One hundred twenty volt DC (or 240 volt DC) can be wired using the same Romex or THWN or other household wiring and using the same rules for wire size, box fill, etc. as for AC power.

Low voltage DC, usally between 12 volts and 24 volts in a household setting, requires much fatter wiring. For a given number of watts, you need ten times the amperes at 12 volts compared with 120 volts. In addition you need to do voltage drop calculations and upsize the wire an additional amount if calculations call for that.

Due to the fatter wires needed, low voltage DC or AC is not recommended for high wattage household applications.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: