Need Help With turning ceiling junction box

Old 02-26-19, 08:47 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need Help With turning ceiling junction box

If there is a level below beginner level, i would put myself at that level therefore please pardon my silly question here. I purchased a heavy chandelier and when i fixed the fixture plate to the junction box, i realized that the plate had to be at a specific angle for the hanging chandelier (35 lbs). The junction box was attached to the roof ceiling with two screws which i removed. I then forcefully turned the junction box to the correct angle that i need it to be.

I am trying to put the screws back and realise that there is another steel bracket inside the ceiling and cannot put the screws back. Before i call the electrician wanted to see if i can get some help here.

Name:  c1.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  c2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  51.7 KB

Name:  c3.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  21.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 02-26-19 at 09:29 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 02-26-19, 08:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like that may not be a heavy duty type box and boxes don't normally get turned.
Is it possible to post a picture for us ? How-to-insert-pictures

Old 02-26-19, 09:07 PM
M
Thanks Pete for welcome message. Attached some pics and the weight of chandelier is 35 lbs.

Old 02-26-19, 09:15 PM
Group Moderator
Good pictures.

Before you put the screws back into the box..... pull it down from the ceiling.
There should be enough wire for you to look above it. That looks like a nail-on box which means it's mounted to the side of a stud. That box is borderline for 35 pounds. I wouldn't recommend it.

That type of fixture should have a back box. It's a punched metal pan with multiple holes to match any electrical box. Does it ?

Name:  box.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  36.3 KB
Both are 4" ceiling boxes. The smart box is rated for HD/fan duty.
The nail-on is what I believe you have there.

Last edited by PJmax; 02-26-19 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 09:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 108 Votes on 94 Posts
What is stopping you from turning the box back to the original position?

The mounting bracket with the fixture should adjust to allow the orientation you need.

Old 02-26-19, 10:06 PM
M
Pete,

1) Unable to pull it down, able to rotate the box but I may have to work a bit harder to pull it down without destroying it ( Seems hard plastic)
2) You were right that the fixture had multiple holes and it made me realize i could have down it like the first picture here before i turned the box vs what i was trying to do (second picture) to have the two metal brackets align on the same line.
3) To PCBOSS's point, i am unable to put the original screws back to the box ceiling ( images in my first post) as there is nothing for the screws to hold on to inside the box since i have moved the box around. I see a metal frame behind the box but that seems to be loose now.

Sorry if this too confusing ! Its midnight here in eastern time zone in USA and my wife is enjoying me going through this basic installation issues !

Attached Images   
Old 02-26-19, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... that's called a fixture bar. It's used to allow the mounting holes of the fixture to match the box.
There may have been nuts on the back of the screws that have fallen off. You can remove that box, pry the metal bracket off the stud and use a smart box. The smart box is attached directly to the stud.

Old 02-27-19, 07:06 AM
M
thanks Pete.will try that today

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: