Replacing ceiling light with recessed light

Old 03-02-19, 05:22 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling light with recessed light

I am trying to change a ceiling light to a recessed light. The problem i am having is there is one metallic cable with two black wires, and two non metallic wires both with a white, black and copper. When i tested the wires, only one of the wires was hot, and it is white. Tested with light switch on and off.

not sure how to proceed, i unfortunately didn't take pictures of the original light. I have a picture of where i am now. Any ideas?

Name:  e1.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  88.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 03-03-19 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added cropped/resized/labeled pic from link
Old 03-02-19, 06:48 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If you used a non contact tester your tests are meaningless. You need to test with a multimeter or test light.

What is the wiring at the switch.

Old 03-03-19, 05:44 AM
Received 159 Upvotes on 145 Posts
Hi, looks like a blue conductor 2 blacks and a white are wire nutted together, that BX cable will have a white and black, is there anything else in the area not working? over time the white may be dark, do you have access above ?
Geo

Old 03-03-19, 07:28 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am using a voltage meter to test the wires. I nutted the two blacks and a white together just so the wires weren't exposed. That's just a little blue painters tape on the wire, it's black though. Still need to check on the light switch wiring, had to take a break.

I'm very much a novice here, thought this would be straightforward but nothing ever is in a old house.

Old 03-03-19, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,897 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
I labeled the cables for discussion purposes. The splices don't look correct from what we can see.
Can't tell if there are three or four cables there.

A - white and black and B - black connected ..... is not correct.

You'll need to open those splices. It looks like cable A is the feed cable and cable B is a switch loop.
Cable C is BX and would normally be the feed cable in an old house.
Not sure what I labeled as D is even a cable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: