LED's on Dimmers Vs. Switches

Old 03-06-19, 08:11 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LED's on Dimmers Vs. Switches

I'm planning on using Lutron Radio Ra2 for a majority of my restaurant. That said, some of the LED switch legs will merely be an on/off, while others will be dimmable. I understand that LEDs initial turn on, act similarly to a short, thus causing a very large peak inrush of power, and thus limiting dimmers dramatically (a 600W Incandescent dimmer only handling around 100W of LED). That said, is the same true for digital switches?

For those of you familiar with Lutron parts, if I were to use an RRD-8ANS, which is a neutral switch that requires very little power to be live (thus the need for the neutral), and I put 400w total of LED lamps/fixtures on this switch, would it turn on and off without any problem? Since it's function is more like a relay, than a dimmer, I'm thinking the influx of power for a few microseconds wouldn't be the same as the issue with putting half that on a 600w RRD-6NA and attempting to control/dim a load.

I'm looking to use the new Wall Power Module - http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...wer_module.pdf

The one listed here is for the QS system, but it's initially the same model as the Radio Ra2 unit. Just designed for control by the QS rather than Ra2.

I'd love some insight. Lutron doesn't like to tell you about limits or specs until they've tested it 13 ways from Sunday, and so their answer is "We don't know what it can support LED". My plan is that any dimmable load on it that's LED will be less than 100W total, but some of my switched loads (this can be programmed to be a toggle on/off, or a dimmable unit), will be as high as 200-240W, all 120v.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-19, 10:26 PM
J
Received 268 Votes on 232 Posts
I understand that LEDs initial turn on, act similarly to a short, thus causing a very large peak inrush of power
\
I have never heard this before. Can you post link to the info.

Old 03-07-19, 05:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
Yes, LEDs can appear as a short when initially turned on. Switches and dimmers designed for LEDs take this into account. I would think any digital or smart light switch made in the past several years would be LED compatible.

Old 03-08-19, 08:29 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My question is moreover focused on whether or not a digital switch is more apt at handling the load than a dimmer. A 600W dimmer typically can only handle 125-150w of LEDs. That said, it has to handle the LEDs at all different ranges of levels, where as a switch is simply on and off. If the switch is in fact, just a relay, it shouldn't matter. Being a high end digital switch however, I'm assuming that it uses Transistors to switch loads to make the switch quieter than the relay would be. If this is the case, I'd imagine the Transistors are more sensitive to power spikes than a relay would be.

If I got a basic 15 amp toggle switch for $2 at my local home depot, I could put 800w of LEDs on it and flip them on/off all day long without problem. I'm wondering if that's the case for digital switches. Lutron is pretty tight lipped on anything to do with LEDs, which is why I figured I'd ask the general populous and had hoped that maybe some of you had experience with such an installation.