Flourescent dusk to dawn yard light issue

Old 03-20-19, 07:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flourescent dusk to dawn yard light issue

I've had this yard light for about 15 years now. It uses a 65w mogul based flourescent bulb. The problem I am having is that it does not come on when the temperature is below like 25°F. Sometimes flipping the breaker will get it going again but when it is really cold that doesn't even work. So, which is most likely the problem? is it the bulb, the ballast or the photocell. Or the whole fixture.
TIA,
Dave

Old 03-20-19, 07:45 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
This is a CFL?

Similar issues with most florescents, they dont like the cold, try a LED bulb!

Old 03-20-19, 08:39 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,106 Upvotes on 1,885 Posts
When I had fluorescents in my warehouse they had trouble lighting when they were cold. They could do it down to about freezing but some would flicker at first and they were all were dim until they warmed up.

You have numerous options in mogul base LED's bulbs but check their physical size to make sure they will fit in your fixture. Also, most mogul based LED's are probably way too powerful for what you need. I would look at a mogul to medium base adapter then use a smaller, more appropriately sized LED bulb.

Old 03-20-19, 09:06 AM
Received 77 Upvotes on 72 Posts
If you do swap in an LED lamp make sure you remove the ballast first and wire the socket directly to the AC line. Those 65W mogul based Fluorescent lamps just have a capacitor (or a resistor) I forget which) wired across the tubes cathodes the actual ballast is in the fixture

Old 03-20-19, 10:01 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Are you sure it is a fluorescent and not a mercury vapour lamp?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: