Is it safe and will I ruin kichler fan if I use wall switches to control it?

Old 03-23-19, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it safe and will I ruin kichler fan if I use wall switches to control it?

I currently own a kichler fan without a light kit on it. When I installed it, I remember reading in the manual that it needs to have constant power or the motor would burn out, so it is only to be controlled by the remote and not a wall switch
I'm looking at purchasing a new kichler fan and from what I can tell this one will have the same stipulation that it's supposed to be controlled only by the remote.
I watched a video on YouTube of someone with the same kichler fan I'm looking at getting not installing the remote receiver and just hard wiring the fan to the wall switches. He had a fan switch for the fan and a regular toggle switch for the light and all appears well in the video. If I was to do the same thing would I be creating a potential fire hazard or anything of that nature and would that burn out the motor by doing so?

Thanks for any help
​​​​​
​​

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-19, 12:57 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
it needs to have constant power or the motor would burn out
Doesn't pass the logic test. If no power to it no power to burn it out. There is no power to it before it is installed and every house occasionally experiences a power outage. They might mean it looses programmed settings but it can be reprogrammed. Make and model number of the fan please.

Old 03-24-19, 06:40 AM
This is the fan I currently have:

https://www.lowes.ca/ceiling-fans/kichler-lighting-56-in-satin-black-with-antique-pewter-accents-downrod-mount-2-blade-ceiling-fan_g2628452.html?searchTerm=Kichler-fan

I just looked at the manual on the lowes website and it says,

" Warning - Connecting this fan to a light switch (on/off) has been known to cause damage to the receiver. This fan must be wired to continually receive power. Failure to do so will drastically reduce the lifespan of this fan."

I distinctly remember reading something about the motor burning out because I remember it didn't make sense to me, there must have been a piece of paper in the box that said that as it does not appear to be in this manual.

This is the fan I'm looking at getting:

https://www.lowes.ca/ceiling-fans/kichler-lighting-barrington-52-in-distressed-black-and-wood-downrod-or-close-mount-indoor-residential-ceiling-fan_g2782404.html?searchTerm=Kichler-fan

It has the same warning as above where it says the receiver would be damaged if wired to an on/off switch. So if that's the case, by simply not installing the receiver it should be ok to use wall switches then, is that correct?

Old 03-24-19, 07:24 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
I noticed you asked the same question on the Lowes web site for that fan. You can operate the fan and light or both from a wall switch, but the fan speed can only be controlled from the remote. If you by pass the remote the fan will only operate at one speed (at high I suspect) and that my be what they mean that it can shorten the life span of the fan.

As Ray indicated, you can use your wall switch as the main power source. Using the remote set the light and or speed to the what level you want and you can use the switch to turn it on and off.

This is how I have mine set up.

Old 03-24-19, 12:47 PM
That was not me, I have not asked any questions on the lowes website.
This fan is going in my daughters room, I'm trying to avoid using the remote if I can so that if she loses or breaks it, the light and fan can still be controlled without having to buy another remote. I have a fan switch already which I was going to use in a different room but never did. A YouTube video I watched had someone use a similar fan switch and it worked for him. I'm just trying to make sure it's safe to do so and that I'm not going to ruin the fan in the process

Old 03-24-19, 12:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
" Warning - Connecting this fan to a light switch (on/off) has been known to cause damage to the receiver. This fan must be wired to continually receive power. Failure to do so will drastically reduce the lifespan of this fan."
Substitute fan with receiver. Connecting the receiver to a switch can be detrimental to the receiver....not the fan motor. Not using the supplied receiver should not be a problem. However.... what are you going to use to vary the fan speed ? That could be a problem.

so that if she loses or breaks it, the light and fan can still be controlled without having to buy another remote.
Well.... at least the fan. That fan won't take a light kit. The light should be on its own.

Old 03-24-19, 02:28 PM
Sorry, I thought it was you. Same question was asked and didn't take a close look at the name.

I don't understand how the combined use of the switch and remote can do any harm. The only thing I can think of is that the batteries in the remote will die from old age and lack of use if you look at it from PJ's view point.

Old 03-24-19, 07:36 PM
The fan switch I have has four settings on it, hi, medium, low and off.
When I explained the different options for how this fan could be controlled to my wife she no longer wants it. She wants to be able to turn it on and off with a switch but also use the remote which doesn't appear to be an option with this fan unless I get a different receiver but then that's going to end up being more money than she wants to spend.

I appreciate all of you taking the time out of your busy lives to help

Old 03-25-19, 04:50 AM
That doesn't seem to make any sense. Again the wall switch is nothing more than power. No different than if it came right from the circuit box. Whatever the remote is set at will remain when the switch is either turned on or off. Notice the pic I sent. If I use the switch then the fan will either be on or off depending on how I left it last time used the remote. The switch only supplies power, not control.