Proper wiring for LED drop ceiling panels

Old 03-28-19, 02:22 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper wiring for LED drop ceiling panels

hey all.
I have two questions

Iím currently in the process of changing the lighting in the drop ceiling of my office. There used to be fluorescents throughout the space which I replaced with practical hanging pendants and wired into the bx or AC cable that I pulled from the fluorescent units. What I noticed when I got into the ceiling is that none of the AC wiring was suspended. It was all resting on the drop ceiling. Iíve read conflicting ideas about this so Iíd like some clarity. Is this problematic? For clarification this is a commercially zoned building in NJ.

Secondly Iíd like to install additional LED 2x2 units. I was thinking of using 12/2 mcap and daisy chaining the units to the nearest junction box. The current wiring to that junction box is AC. Can mcap and Ac be used together? Iíd appreciate any insight on these questions.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-19, 09:33 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Votes on 1,092 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

All wiring and cabling in a ceiling must be suspended from its own hangers. At one time it was allowed to be clipped on to the T bar ceiling grid hanging wires. That is no longer acceptable. It can be hard to reach structural steel but you need to add your own hangers for the cables.

As far as the MCAP (metal clad all purpose)..... it is approved for use anywhere MC or AC can be used. The major difference between MC and MCAP is that the MC has a green ground wire that must be connected while the AP has a bare interlocked conductor that doesn't need to be attached to the box or fixture.

My preference is still the MC-lite.

Old 03-29-19, 06:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What next

thanks pj
what should I do then in regard to the resting cables? I didnít do that work. I just found it that way. Whatís wild to me is that the building used to be a school so I would have thought the inspections would be a lot tougher. Do I tell the landlord that all of his wiring in a 13k sq ft building is not up to code? I donít think heíd do anything about it regardless. I understand itís a technical violation but what is the harm in leaving it as is? Iím genuinely curious. Also If the drop ceiling was removed, could the cables be fixed to the ceiling with metal straps and still meet code?

Old 04-01-19, 07:38 AM
A
Received 86 Votes on 80 Posts
deleted ...............................

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-01-19 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-01-19, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Votes on 1,092 Posts
The idea of the suspended cabling and also along the same lines.... tie wires to the fixtures..... is so that if there is a fire..... everything doesn't come crashing down on the firemen's head. Many times work is done after the original inspections and it is done as quickly and cheaply as possible.