Attach plug to thicker gauge wire for Flood Light

Old 04-18-19, 08:16 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attach plug to thicker gauge wire for Flood Light

One surprise I had after purchasing my house this summer was finding a flood light in my backyard that was attached to a timer in the basement. I'm wanting to make this an on demand light, rather than on a timer, I disconnected the wires from the timer. There's a working outlet in the basement that I could plug the light into. I tried attaching the wires to a plug end that I got at Home Depot, so I could plug it into the socket, but the gauge on the wires is thick and difficult to work with, so I'm wondering if I would be better off getting a specialized plug to attach the wires to. I thought about replacing the light completely, but the light works and there is a thick casing tat the wire runs through on the outside of the house.

Thanks, for any recommendations,.

Old 04-18-19, 08:43 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 271 Upvotes on 247 Posts
Run the wires from the light into a junction box. Run a lamp cord with plug out of the junction box to reach the nearby regular receptacle.

Optionally you can have a switch in the junction box.

Old 04-18-19, 10:18 AM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
Make the power connection where the timer used to be. It sounds like you are attempting to install a plug on a cable that is not permitted to contain a plug.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: