Installing ceiling fan with 2 sets of wire

Old 04-22-19, 01:53 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing ceiling fan with 2 sets of wire

Hi all i have recently installed a ceiling fan that is being controlled by 2 switches, one for light one for fan. Everything is working correctly i just wanted to make sure i didnt break any codes in doing so. The issue is instead of 1 set of 3 wire going to the fan there were 2 sets of 2 wire. So with one set i connected the blacks together for fan motor and the neutrals together and the ground together. The second set of wire is where im unsure. I connected the black wire to the blue wire from the fan for the light and i connected the neutral and ground together with a secondary ground wire coming from the fan fixture. So my question is is it ok to combine the neutral and ground together and if not what do i do with the second neutral wire?

Old 04-22-19, 04:34 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
i connected the neutral and ground together with a secondary ground wire coming from the fan fixture
You never connect a neutral to ground. It is unsafe. Connect the two house neutrals to the fan neutral.

Assumes both hots are on the same breaker.

Old 04-22-19, 11:41 PM
L
Yes they are on the same breaker. I tried looking up some code and found that combining neutrals together is against code when they are on different circuits. Is that correct?

Old 04-23-19, 12:16 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I tried looking up some code and found that combining neutrals together is against code when they are on different circuits
yes but on the same breaker is on the same circuit.

And you can't connect just one neutral because code requires hot and neutral in the same raceway (sheah. conduit, etc,) If you connect only one neutral the other load would not comply to code,

Connecting ground to neutral creates the danger of neutral current on anything metal. Not having hot and neutral in the same raceway can cause eddy currents and heat.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-25-19 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 12:39 PM
L
Ok cool, thank you for the help and information. I have made the proper adjustments.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: