Question about electric meter/service

Old 04-25-19, 08:13 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question about electric meter/service

We recently sold part of our condo. It is a 2 bedroom with one of the bedrooms being a lock off unit. We sold the lock off unit, We found out yesterday that both units are connected to the same meter. Each unit has its own breaker box. The new owner of the lock off needs to get their own meter so we won't be being for their electrical usage. I think the electric company will be taking care of it. My question is.......Are there 2 sets of wires that come out of the meter and go to the 2 breaker boxes, or one set that goes to 1 box with the 2nd box being a sub panel? The condo is 180 miles away so we can't go there just to take a look at it. Thanks for any replies. Hope I got my terminology right. These condos were built in the early 80's)

Old 04-25-19, 08:34 PM
J
Received 338 Votes on 291 Posts
That question can only be answered by an onsite inspection of the cabling.
It could be either, but if I had to guess I would say subpanel.

Old 04-25-19, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,613 Votes on 1,485 Posts
The electric company only supplies the meter. All else is done by your electrician.

If it's currently one meter feeding two panels in two units..... there should be a disconnect panel at the meter. In this panel would be one breaker for each unit. Typically it's at this disconnect point where one unit will be split off and a new meter and disconnect is installed.

We'd need pictures to be of further help as we can only surmise based on the info you have given us. You will need to hire an electrician to make this change as an inspection will be required before the power company will connect the second meter. How-to-insert-pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: