Heat/light conversion safety

Old 04-26-19, 08:35 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat/light conversion safety

Hello - I have a ceiling fan, heat light combo - I want to update the heat light to a nice light fixture. I have found a couple different recessed light converter kits to do this, but I wonder if those heat-bulb receptacles are safe to use...for the converter and a pendant light? The 'kits' are for cam lights.

Thanks,

Old 04-26-19, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,999 Upvotes on 3,589 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can we assume we are discussing a bathroom fixture ?
Is it all one unit ?

Convertor ?
Pendants in the bathroom are not usually recommended.

Pictures of what you have would be helpful. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 04-27-19, 04:44 PM
K
Yes Pete, in the bathroom It's a 2 heat bulbs + fan unit. Fan and lights are on separate switches.

I plan on replacing the ugly plastic cover with a high quality urethane resin vent cover. But since I have those two bulb receptors I would like to add a 'rustic style' lighting. Something small and fitting the space. I have oil rubbed bronze lights over the vanity, so the ugly heat lights really do not fit any more, and we never use them.

What kind of light should I be looking for in a bathroom?

Last edited by Katelyn.cw; 04-27-19 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 10:19 AM
K
Mostly..... I'm wondering about the heat-light sockets - I already have read that they are deeper then a regular light socket, but are they shooting more power? Will a cam light conversion kit work? I have no wiring experience so it makes me nervous.

I'm amazed that in all my searching I cannot find anyone updating these heat light units DIY fashion. I thought if I found a video of someone just rewiring the switch power to a ceiling light fixture I would try my hand at doing that, but all I can find are people installing new fans and heat lights.

Old 04-28-19, 11:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,190 Upvotes on 1,959 Posts
A light bulb socket does not "shoot more" anything. The amount of power consumed is determined by the bulb you use, not the socket it's screwed into. Look up inside the fixture there may be a sticker or stamped into the sheet metal the maximum wattage. If your new bulbs are less than that you should be good.

Old 04-28-19, 06:05 PM
K
Okay I'll do that, thanks

Old 04-28-19, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,999 Upvotes on 3,589 Posts
I'm guessing you're looking at a screw in pendant type light. That would work fine in the heat lamp socket. The only problem is how to cover the large reflector bulb openings in the trimplate.

Katelyn.cw voted this post useful.
Old 04-29-19, 12:41 PM
K
Hi Pete, I agree with you about the cover plate and so I'm looking at decorative grates to cover the entire rectangle opening.....

Yes screw in pendant light! Thanks for your confirmation, that really helps me to not be afraid of doing this new thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: