Only last light before switch not working

Old 04-26-19, 09:15 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Only last light before switch not working

I've just rewired my kitchen ceiling lighting with 14/3. Six pots, power enters at 1st fixture, switch at end. Black wires from source through the fixtures to the bottom of single-pole switch, red wires from light #1 though to top of switch, white from source to switch and capped off there. Each light is connected to a tapped neutral and red.

All's fine except for the last light which doesn't turn on.

I swapped out the bulb with a known working one to no avail. With power off and switch on, continuity checks out from switch black terminal to hot side of bulb socket.

I turned the power back to check voltages in that last fixture. When I tested across black and neutral the bulb turned on! Then I noticed I had turned my multimeter dial one stop too many, to current testing (2mA scale). But still...

So I've stopped for the moment. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on and what to check next?

Old 04-26-19, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
Although what you've done is one way to wire it..... simplifying the wiring makes troubleshooting easier.

You have six lights. Power enters at light 1. Switch is at light 6. Lights 1-5 work normally. Light 6 doesn't work. You either have a hot problem in light 6 or the neutral is not connected at light 5 going to 6.

rgutter voted this post useful.
Old 04-26-19, 09:58 PM
R
I guess you mean simplifying the writing. You're right.

Just measured the voltages. For some reason, neutral and ground are hot too. You're right again.

Time to open up light 5 too I guess.

Old 04-26-19, 11:14 PM
R
@Pjmax
Loose neutral in #5. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Old 04-26-19, 11:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,986 Upvotes on 3,578 Posts
Good job. ...........................................

rgutter voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: