Help with Broan HVL wiring

Old 05-05-19, 01:12 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Broan HVL wiring

I am remodeling my bathroom and replacing the old HVL with a new Broan 100HL. Rather than use the Broan switch which has 3 switches in 1 gang, I am using a standard switch and a combo switch. I'm not sure my diagram is correct. Would a hot wire need to jump over to the combo switch? It seems to me that the combo switch won't have power in from the panel, therefore it would not have a circuit to break. I'm thoroughly confused and would appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!!

Attached Images  
Old 05-05-19, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Would a hot wire need to jump over to the combo switch? It seems to me that the combo switch won't have power in from the panel, therefore it would not have a circuit to break
You are correct. Wire a pigtail from the hot wire to each switch.

MarkOfMs voted this post useful.
Old 05-05-19, 07:01 PM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
The combo switch should only need one hot wire. One side should be common and unless you broke the tab off one wire will power both switches.

Old 05-05-19, 09:39 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you. The bridge/tab is still in place. One pigtail seemed like all I need to add, but I've looked at this so long I began to confuse myself!

Old 05-06-19, 09:00 AM
Received 389 Upvotes on 338 Posts
Just my opinion but if I was doing it, I would put the light on the single switch and the heater and vent on the combo switch. The light will get used most and even if the switches are labeled people not familiar with the setup will be flipping multiple switches to get the correct one.

Edit: I just got out of the shower and realized that the vent could be on a timer switch (mine is). In that case it probably should be on the single switch. A wind-up timer would not require a neutral connection, an electronic one might.

Last edited by 2john02458; 05-06-19 at 09:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: