Light fixture - 3 black and 1 black wires

Old 05-24-19, 04:59 PM
Light fixture - 3 black and 1 black wires

Replacing old fixture. I have 3 black wires from ceiling to 1 wire of old fixture, then 1 black wire from ceiling to 1 wire of old fixture. Which is hot? Also what do I do with the ground wire of new fixture?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-19, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

We allow one thread per topic. This is your thread on your lighting question.

If we're discussing old wiring here....... they all may appear black. Typically the splice with three "black" wires would be the neutral and the single black wire would be the hot.

How do you know the box is not grounded ? If you have metal clad.... like BX cable..... the box will probably be grounded. f the box is not grounded..... you do nothing with the ground wire. Just leave it capped in the box.

Old 05-24-19, 06:07 PM
Thank you sir. The box looks grounded. Copper wiring around a screw in box.

Old 05-24-19, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
You can attach the light ground wire to that wire.

Old 06-14-19, 08:46 AM
I'm circling back on this. Doing a house remodel and the new fixture has been tied to the box for the last three weeks lol (I'm not supporting the weight on the wiring). There's been plenty of other stuff to do and this is now one of the last things on my list I need to knock out.

I believe this problem has been posted many times before, but I can't find a thread.

Prior to my first post on this, I got some sparks from the switch box (got sloppy when I didn't have a new outlet cover on hand and switch came in contact with box) and the old fixture burnt out. I replaced both switches. They were back stabbed, now they're screwed. The switch that goes to the outside light works fine. The other switch goes to the new living room fixture in question. The new living room fixture didn't turn on. Took it down again.

I have a non-contact voltage reader and a multimeter. When I test for voltage with the non-contact I'm not getting anything in any of the wiring. I'll admit I don't know how to test the wiring with a multimeter.

There is a second living room light fixture following the bad one on the circuit that works just fine.

Where do I troubleshoot? I'm aware I'm no electrician but I already know how to call one. Like most people on here, I'm curious about the problem. I have a good handle on plumbing, flooring, carpentry etc but electrical is homeowner piece I'm not great with.

Old 06-14-19, 08:49 AM
Oh and meant to say "got sloppy when I didn't have a new switch cover on hand"