Arlington FB442 Ceiling Fan Junction box Help - How to Use

Old 05-25-19, 09:14 AM
Arlington FB442 Ceiling Fan Junction box Help - How to Use

Hi I'm in a new construction home and the builder left pre-wired fan mounting boxes in the ceiling. They happen to be this Arlington FB442 model as seen here. https://www.cesco.com/resources/pdf_...achmentURL.pdf
Name:  ab.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  11.1 KB

I have not seen a box like this before. It looks like the 2 provided screws are supposed to go directly into the ceiling joist instead of in specific holes on the box. The mounting box says its rated for a 70lb ceiling fan so I guess it's the screws that are rated for 70lbs, since the box isn't holding anything?

The builder only left one screw with the light fixture that is currently installed in this location so I'm missing 1 of the screws. The fan I'm trying to install came with wood screws for installing to a building support structure. I'm assuming its fine to install the fan using the provided wood screws instead of the ones that came with the mounting box since either way the screws are going into the wooden ceiling joist?

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by PJmax; 05-25-19 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added pic
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-19, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

There should be three screws provided. A short one to hold the box in place.
Two more screws to go thru the fan bracket, thru the box and then into the joist.
They usually come with 2" screws which are sometimes not long enough.

Old 05-25-19, 10:13 AM
Thanks for your reply, the mounting box I have looks different than the image you posted. You can see there are no holes for the actual mounting screws to go through the box, only the one screw that goes directly into the joist to hold the box in place. I'm just confused how a mounting box that the screws don't go through can be rated for a 70lb ceiling fan.

Old 05-25-19, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Take the cardboard off when mounting the box.

Old 05-25-19, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The box does not need to be fan rated when it is not the sole support for the fan. The framing above is providing the support.