Single Pole Switch on a Three-Way Switch Circuit

Old 06-02-19, 01:36 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Single Pole Switch on a Three-Way Switch Circuit

I'll get right to it;

Purchased a handful of switches that were guaranteed to be 3-way compatible. They're all single pole switches, with a single LIVE and LOAD hookup on each switch (in addition to the neutral and ground).

One of the areas where I want to install the new switch has three wires (one black, then one black and one red) and the other has four wires (a red and black on either side).

Is it possible to install at least one of these switches on one of these areas?

Old 06-02-19, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Discussing standard switches..... NOT z wave or electronic controls.

Switches aren't three way compatible. They are either three way or they aren't. Three way switches will have two brass screws and one dark/black screw. We don't count any ground screw.

A standard or single pole switch will only have two brass screws.

White is the standard color for neutral. Neutral is not found on a standard switch. A white wire could be found on a three way switch.

It sounds like you have a single pole switch with two black wires on one end and red on the other. Both of those black wires are technically connected together. Normally what is done is the two black wires are twisted together and a third short piece of wire..... a tail..... is added on and that tail goes to one screw and the red goes to the other.

Old 06-02-19, 01:47 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
They're all single pole switches, with a single LIVE and LOAD hookup on each switch (in addition to the neutral and ground).
You seem confused on terms or are these smart switches. A standard single location light switch (SPST) has no neutral and no specific line/load terminals. Note 3-way switches are also single pole (SPDT).

Old 06-02-19, 02:18 PM
J
Yes they're all smart switches (sorry) that have hookups for LIVE, LOAD, NEUTRAL, and GROUND.

Just need to know if there's a way to make it work with 4-wire or 3-wire setups.

Old 06-02-19, 03:24 PM
J
Not confused, but entirely uneducated. They are all smart switches with the aforementioned hookups.
Just want to know if there's a way to hook it up to either a 3-wire setup or a 4-wire setup without disabling the other light switches that control the same lights in the same room.

Old 06-02-19, 04:22 PM
Group Moderator
For us to give you specific help..... we need to know the model number of what you are installing. Some smart switches specifically say will work with existing three way switch and some need a dedicated slave switch. .

You need to pull the switch out and see if it is a true three way switch with three terminals or is a single pole switch with two terminals.. Wire count is not important as there could be two wires on a single screw or end of switch.

Old 06-02-19, 08:07 PM
J
Tessan MJ-SD02 is what I received (not what I purchased). If that helps.

Old 06-03-19, 05:45 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
That switch looks up to single pole with a note at the bottom that newer version is available. The newer version says three way.

There is a newer model of this item:
3 Way Smart Dimmer Switch for Dimmable LED Lights, WiFi Light Switch Compatible with Alexa and Google Home, Neutral Wire Required, Smart Life APP - White

Old 06-03-19, 06:55 AM
J
I know. That's the one I purchased. Like I said, I received the wrong one, so before I return them and go through the hassle, I just want to know if I can make it work with what I have.

Old 06-03-19, 07:47 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
As far as I can see you can not make it work. You also need an "addon" switch for the second switch not another of the same from what I can see of install diagram.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 06-03-19, 01:00 PM
Group Moderator
I agree. If you are trying to install what you received in a three way application.... it won't work.

Old 06-03-19, 01:13 PM
J
Cheers mates, thanks a ton for the fast answers

Old 06-06-19, 10:29 AM
Received 22 Upvotes on 20 Posts
It is always a way around, I guess the smart switches are because you want some kind of remote control, that switch has to control a 3 phase contactor or a 3 phase solid state relay. These ssr's will ned e.g. an adpter to make dc for the control https://bre.is/rzYNk6AfK

Old 06-06-19, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
dsk..... I think you missed the question. This member wants smart control over a three way lighting circuit..... like in a hallway for example. No three phase involved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: