Ceiling Light Wiring - Totally confused

Old 06-10-19, 01:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Light Wiring - Totally confused

Hey everyone,

Trying to figure out this wiring situation. There's currently a two-bulb ceiling light in my bedroom that is connected to a split in a piece of romex and a light switch on the wall that operated it. I wanted to install a ceiling fan (and swap the dimmer switch for a toggle) but the wiring at the light has me confused, and now after looking at the box the light is no longer working (it always flickered anyway). The photo attached is what the current light wiring setup looked like, but I'll try and write it out to make some sense. I'll just use colors as I'm not sure if any of these have been switched.

1. Box has Romex on both sides coming in, with another wire for the light switch. One side of romex leads from breaker panel through bathroom light to this box. Other side leads (I believe) to the living room.

2. Black wire from the romex on the left side is tied in with the black wire from the switch and the white from the romex on the right.

3. The white from the romex on the left is tied to the white from the switch wire.

4. The black wire from the romex on the right is connected to the ceiling light, with both blacks from the two bulbs tied in. The ceiling light's two white wires are just tied to each other.

The (poorly drawn) diagram I attached is what wires I will have when it comes time to install the fan. Does anybody know how to wire this up correctly?

Attached Images   
Old 06-10-19, 02:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Don't take anything apart but spread the wires out and let us see both loose ends that attached to old light. The 2 blacks and one white connected are part of the switch loop.Can't see the other wire from switch.

Old 06-10-19, 03:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hey pugsl, canít get a photo right now but the bare black went to the two blacks from the fixture. The two whites on the fixture were just spliced to each other- not sure if they came undone when I took it down, but maybe that explains the flickering from a poor connection? Where would the white wires typically go in that setup?

Old 06-10-19, 05:19 PM
J
Received 513 Upvotes on 418 Posts
The fixture in that picture will connect to the single black and white group.
Leave the one white with the other blacks. It's part of a switch loop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: