Dimmers installed on the subpanel make buzzing noise through pipe

Old 06-19-19, 08:46 PM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmers installed on the subpanel make buzzing noise through pipe

Hello, I had a problem with installing lutron dimmers on the new subpanel. The main panel is old and it's 200 amp, I added a 100amp breaker for a subpanel because I needed to install new breakers. All the lights in the house are LEDs and rooms upstairs have dimmers that work great and those rooms are on the main panel breakers. However when I installed the same dimmers in the kitchen which is on on the subpanel, there is a buzzing noise that can be heard in the pipes and the panels as well. It's heard when I turn the breaker on (only with the dimmer being switched on) or when I dim the lights low. I'm not sure why this is happening, everything works normally with standard switches or 3ways. I didn't ground the dimmers since I just wanted to see how they work, could that make a difference or is it something with the neutral wire?

Old 06-20-19, 04:01 AM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, are the dimmers rated for LEDís ? if a ground conductor is present it should be connected properly.
Geo

Old 06-20-19, 05:05 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dimmers

Yes, dimmers are LED rated, the same dimmers make no problem at all when they are installed on the main panel breakers, it's only the ones on the subpanel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: