Light remains on. Switch won't do anything

Old 06-29-19, 08:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Light remains on. Switch won't do anything

We recently installed a new light fixture to a previously unused receptacle in our condo. The light is on when we turn on the breaker and the switch won't turn it off.
  • The receptacle has blue, green, black and white wires.
  • The light switch has blue and black wires, it is the only light switch for this fixture.
  • The light fixture had a grounding and black and white.
  • Currently, the light fixture is attached black to black, white to white, grounding to grounding screw.
Any insight would be super valuable!!

Old 06-29-19, 09:16 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Sounds like the receptacle was half switched. Is the tab cut between the gold screws of the receptacle?

Old 06-29-19, 10:10 AM
S
Half switched? :S

I'm not sure. It's hard to see the receptacle. The wires are thick doubled together and curled in there. What is the solution if that is the case?

Old 06-29-19, 10:26 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
Cut the tab between the gold screws. The light will switch and so will half of the receptacle.

I would first remove the blue wires from the receptacle and cap them together if there are more than one. Then test what works and what the switch controls.

Old 06-29-19, 10:45 AM
S
Tried to be get deep enough to see what the tab looks like but I see nothing. I think I saw more reddish wires that's all.
I suppose the best thing to do would be to get the device which measures voltages and test what the switch controls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: