Replacing a chandelier with a fan/light combo

Old 06-29-19, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing a chandelier with a fan/light combo

Hi! I have a chandelier in my dining area which is controlled by a wall dimmer switch, see the first two pics. I'm interested in replacing the chandelier with a fan/light combo with requirements as follows. I'd like the lights to be controlled by the existing dimmer switch so that I can vary the light intensity. I'd like the fan on/off status and speed to be controlled by a pull-chain regardless of the position of the wall dimmer switch. How can I wire this arrangement? By the way I do have a fan/light combo (installed by the previous owner) in the kitchen (see 3rd pic) where the light on/off status is controlled by a wall non-dimmer switch. It also has a pull chain for the light which controls the combination of ceiling fan lights to be energized. Regardless of the wall switch, there's a 2nd chain to control turning on the fan and its 3 speeds. In other words I'd like the new fan/light to act in the same way but with a light dimmer.

Name:  fl1.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  56.0 KB Name:  fl2.JPG
Views: 44
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  fl3.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  42.0 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-30-19 at 12:32 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-19, 04:08 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
It all depends on if you unswitched power at the light now. Open the switch or light and tell us about the wires you find.

Old 06-30-19, 03:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Don't forget to check the ceiling box to ensure it is rated for a fan.

Geochurchi voted this post useful.
Old 06-30-19, 04:45 AM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi, I would consider getting a F/L that can be controlled remotely, remove the dimmer and install a single pole switch which would remain on constantly , F/L is then controlled by the remote control , no messy pull chains .
Geo

Old 06-30-19, 06:49 PM
Guys, thanks for your responses. Let me reply to each one.

Joed, I don't know if you're talking about the f/l in the kitchen or the chandelier and I'm not sure about the expression "unswitched power". Let me answer the best I can. In both cases the wall switch controls the light. I opened the f/l wall switch and I can see a black and a red wire going to the switch, see 1st pic. I also opened up the chandelier switch and same thing, I see a black and red wire from the switch to inside connectors, see 2nd pic. The green wire and the striped red wires are not being used. I also opened up the chandelier. It is connected up with 2 black wires and the bare ground wire is also in use, see 3rd pic.

The tow guy, how can I check if the existing ceiling box is rated for a fan? Does the pic tell us anything?

Geochurchi, if I use the remote control for the proposed f/l to replace the chandelier, will I have the ability to dim the lights, which I consider important?

Name:  s1.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  s2.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  s3.JPG
Views: 39
Size:  65.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 06-30-19 at 07:04 PM. Reason: cropped/resized pictures
Old 06-30-19, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
That is not a fan box and I only see a single two wire cable at the ceiling consisting of a white/black and ground wire.

We need to see the connections in the switch box.
Gently pull the wires out of the box (without disconnecting them) so we can see the splices.

Old 06-30-19, 09:50 PM
Received 75 Votes on 69 Posts
It appears you only have a black and white at the chandelier. That means you can't have both dimmed light and fan controlled by chains.
A remote controlled fan/light is an option.

Old 07-01-19, 03:57 AM
Hi, if you haven’t purchased the fixture yet make sure the one you pick has the capability to be dimmed, this remote may be an option if you already have the fixture, I have not used one but it may work, someone else may know.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Westingh...7000/203077351
Geo

Old 07-01-19, 08:29 AM
PJmax, thanks for alerting me that the chandelier is not hung from a fan box. My understanding is that a new f/l kit will include a fan box. Do you know if it can easily slip into the ceiling opening (after removing the chandelier box)? Note that there's a large decorative object adorning the ceiling (see last pic of my original post) and there's no room to widen the ceiling opening.

I'm attaching the pic of the inside of the switch box. The red wire built into the chandelier switch is spliced with a black wire with a yellow connector. The black wire built into the switch is spliced with a bunch of black wires with a yellow connector. Both the red and black switch wires emerge from the left hand side of the pic and travel leftwards on the pic almost towards the center of the pic.

joed and Geochruchi, it does sound like a remote control is the favored option. I haven't bought the f/l yet. My thinking was to buy it only when I think it's feasible to meet the requirements I've set for myself.

I replaced the LED capable dimmer switch (which was rather expensive) just a few months ago (because the old one was busted) and I'd hate for it to go unused. During winter/early spring the idea of replacing the chandelier with the f/l had not crossed my mind. Is there any alternative at all that will allow me to continue using the dimmer to control just the light component of the proposed f/l combo?

Attached Images  
Old 07-01-19, 08:40 AM
Hi, do you have access above the chandelier location ? if not it could be a chore, there is a retro box that can be used if you don’t have access above.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RACO-RET...-937/203743172
Geo

Old 07-01-19, 07:53 PM
Geo, I don't have access above the chandelier location. Thanks for the tip on using a retro box and the link to it.