Wiring 2 Wire Ceiling Fan Controller

Old 06-30-19, 06:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring 2 Wire Ceiling Fan Controller

Hello, this is my first post. I'm a total newbie when it comes to electrical. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm installing a Minka Aire 4 Speed Fan Controller, model WC105. It's a two wire setup - one wire labeled "To Fan" and the other "To Power Supply." Both labels say "Do Not Connect to Neutral White Wire." There is also a yellow/green ground wire. (pic of unit and screengrab of wiring diagram from manual attached)

I'm replacing a single pole switch that was on/off for the previous ceiling fan with pull cords controlling light and fan speeds in a junction box with two switches. The other switch is a single pole 3 way switch that controls a separate hallway light. (pic attached)

My problem is this - the only wires that are available to me are the black one (which is hot) and the white one (neutral). Do I need to run another wire to the ceiling fan that connects to the "To Fan" wire? Do I need to jump one of the wires coming from the 3 way switch in the junction box?

Thanks again.

Attached Images    
Old 06-30-19, 07:06 AM
J
Received 326 Votes on 281 Posts
You have a switch loop. In this case the white wire is NOT a neutral. If it was wired correctly the white is the power wire. The black is the load wire.
Confirm by testing for voltage to ground on the white wire.

Old 06-30-19, 07:22 AM
J
joed thanks for the quick reply.

If it was wired correctly the white is the power wire.
Testing with a non-contact voltage detector, the white wire is not hot while the black one is. Are you saying the white wire would be connected to the "To Fan" wire and the black to "To Power Supply"?

Confirm by testing for voltage to ground on the white wire.
Sorry, not sure how to execute this. Just fyi, I don't have a multimeter.

Old 06-30-19, 07:53 AM
J
Testing with a non-contact voltage detector, the white wire is not hot while the black one is. Are you saying the white wire would be connected to the "To Fan" wire and the black to "To Power Supply"?
That is correct.

Normally the white brings the hot to the switch and black brings switched hot back to the fixture. It seems to have been wired in reverse for you.

Old 06-30-19, 08:36 AM
J
That did it

joed- You were correct and the fan is working. I appreciate the skilled guidance.

Just one note - the switch has four speeds and you’d assume “4” would be the highest one but it’s actually the lowest. This may be a quirk of the manufacturer but probably not. Maybe I wired something backwards on the fan side?

Old 06-30-19, 09:48 AM
J
I don't think there is anything you can wire backwards to make '4' the lowest. It is how the manufacturer labeled it.

Old 06-30-19, 10:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,483 Votes on 1,371 Posts
I agree. There's no way to wire that to cause the speed positions to change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: