new installation of two pendant lights

Old 07-01-19, 09:47 AM
D
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
new installation of two pendant lights

I want to install two pendant lights in my kitchen area. The kitchen has an attic above it. The attic has blown-in insulation which covers most wiring up there but I have located some existing wiring, such as the wiring for two existing ceiling lights. I've also seen other wires which apparently go to outlets and other light fixtures throughout this floor of the home.

I'm thinking I need to get a voltage tester, such as Southwire Digital 100 to 600-Volt Non-Contact Voltage Tester, to be sure I find a wire that is always live, rather than a wire coming from a light switch for an existing light fixture. Does that make sense?

Old 07-01-19, 04:41 PM
D
I bought a non-contact voltage tester. My initial testing of it indicates it will be very helpful.

Old 07-01-19, 08:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,891 Upvotes on 3,488 Posts
That's a good application for that type of tester. Once you've found "always live" cables. Have someone turn the circuits off at the panel so that you can identify what circuit you'll use and make sure it's a circuit that you can connect to.

For example....... you could have a 240v line running thru the attic..... possibly for A/C. The tester shows it always live. Unless you know what circuit it is.... it would be a deadly line to connect to. You also don't want to connect to dedicated bathroom or kitchen receptacle circuits either.

Old 07-09-19, 02:53 PM
D
Thanks for the tips. They are helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: