Attic fan tstat wiring ...easy right?

Old 07-05-19, 06:25 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Attic fan tstat wiring ...easy right?

Pictures speak 1000 words. Am I really this stupid? If I connect hot to black wire on fan it works, so I know, the fan works and I have power. Im connecting hot to tstat black and the fan blsck to other tstat black. White to white and both grounds to screw. When i turn the dial it will not turn on. 2 new switches..same thing. Do I need to connect neutrals to tstat black wires? I don't get it.
Thanks

Larger view.... http://photos.app.goo.gl/EwUCw2monv5q9n8TA
Name:  fan wiring.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  43.7 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-10-19 at 06:58 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 07-05-19, 08:33 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
You did everything correct. Tstat is not closing. What is the specs on the tstat?

Old 07-08-19, 07:06 AM
T
It's the typical Master Flow Tstat that has a range of 60-120. I was so perplexed I bought another one and the same thing happened. For example say the attic was 120 because I have a real thermostat up there for reference. I can turn the knob to 90 it will kick on and stay on until around 100 degrees. So the only viable range is at 90 degrees. Anything less it turns off permanently or stays on permanently. I bought another one that was just as finicky and would not turn on at any temperature. All I can think is that these things are made like utter crap and faulty and the points aren't connecting and or the rubber bushing are not expanding correctly. I have no idea how hundreds of other people are using these correctly.
I bought another brand "ventamatic" which has a built in fire safety feature which I like, so I'll try that and post back.

Thanks

Old 07-10-19, 06:35 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
What is the actual temp in the attic?
Geo

Old 07-15-19, 08:18 AM
T
When I check in the morning it's about 65 and at mid day can reach 140.
I bought another Tstat (my 3rd one) and installed it. When the attic temperature was around 100 I turned the adjuster down untilo the fan shut off. I'm hoping it will now kick on around 100 and turn off at around that temperature too. If this works, then it will be 2 faulty or badly manufactured Tstats that I've installed.
And on a side note, I'm a little pissed off that HomeD... stated that the Tstat they sold me was a fire protected type, but when I installed it, it was just like all the others, without the built in fire safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: