Exhaust fan and light staying on

Old 07-07-19, 03:48 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fan and light staying on

I installed a new bathroom light/ fan combo in our guest bathroom. I wired it with 14-2 romex and ran it to the light switch that controls the lights above the vanity. Itís a single switch that I want to use to operate both the vanity light and the light/ fan combo. Before I put the new wire in the box it has two additional romex wires in the box. One black that was not connected to anything, the other black was connected to the switch. Whites were all connected, and the grounds we connected. I have connected all the blacks, whites and grounded it new wire but I cannot get the light/ fan to shut off now. The black wire was was not being used is the way I am getting power to the fan. Thanks!

Old 07-07-19, 04:51 PM
J
Received 307 Votes on 263 Posts
There should have been two wires on the switch. If there was not then the not connected black should have been on the switch.

Old 07-07-19, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Weloc0ome t0o the forums.

One black that was not connected to anything, the other black was connected to the switch.
There needs to be two wires on a switch for it to work. That black wire that wasn't connected may have pulled out of the switch when you pulled it out of the box.

Old 07-08-19, 05:44 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! I ended up running another switch and new romex to clean it up and itís working great.

Old 07-08-19, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Good job. I didn't supply much help though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: