Recessed lights not coming on

Old 07-07-19, 04:47 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Recessed lights not coming on

Noob here with some lighting issues. I purchased 3 recessed light last (halo 4Ē) the other day. I got them all installed and tested with a hot light to make sure I had power throughout. Other things on the same breaker are working fine.

Heres where it gets tricky. Itís an old house (50ís-60ís) and has the old braided wire with no ground running from it (14 ga) and old screw in style breaker box. I also was going to install a dimmer switch but needed new wiring (Romex) to complete the job. After looking at it I realized I didnít have anywhere for the ground. I grounded the wire in the junction box on the box itself.

I have fire to the lights and to the switch, but on a multimeter it flickers between 0 and 1. Nowhere close to 120. So whatís the problem. Can I even run the romex to the old wire? Am I grounding out somewhere? Do I need to run romex straight from the box? If so, whatís the wiring schematic on an old box.

Thanks in advance. Iíve done a lot of research but canít find anything. Take it easy on me! 👍

Old 07-07-19, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,980 Upvotes on 3,572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Best to keep all your posts within one thread so as to eliminate confusion. Your other post with this question is removed.

When you install new circuitry.... like new recessed lights..... you need to use the correct up to date wiring. I'm not sure where you are getting the feed from but it should all be new romex. It sounds like you are trying to splice into an old two conductor cable. You should be looking to remove that older cable with no ground. Technically you can't extend off an ungrounded supply.

Not sure where you are measuring the power but you should see 120vAC between the white and black wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: