Weird Power Fluctuation

Old 07-07-19, 05:59 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird Power Fluctuation

This is weird. My lights have flickered this evening a few times in about 3 different events but the TV, TV box and AC seem to not be affected. Is there a line problem that might affect LED bulbs but not other power users? The lights affected are on multiple circuits in the house.

Old 07-07-19, 06:26 PM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
There could be a problem that only affect some circuits in your house. Your house is fed by two hot power wires. If one of them was loose then only half the house would be affected.

Old 07-07-19, 07:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,992 Upvotes on 3,583 Posts
LED bulbs are more sensitive to voltage fluctuations and will flicker
more than their incandescent counterparts.

Old 07-08-19, 06:33 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's what I kinda suspected. This is the first time since I installed them that I had this issue. Must have been a rare occurance where my line voltage/hz varied enough to wobble them a little without affecting the TV. This is different I guess from where the power just gets choppy?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 07-08-19, 07:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,186 Upvotes on 1,956 Posts
Long ago I had an issue with my PTO powered generator. When the generator was not at the correct height the universal joints in the drive shaft would cause the rotation to speed up and slow down slightly on each revolution. It was enough to make incandescent light bulbs flicker but the power supplies in computers and TV were able to filter it out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: