Large outdoor LED lamp and motion detector wiring question

Old 07-11-19, 06:02 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Large outdoor LED lamp and motion detector wiring question

I had a pair of pre-wired LED lamps on my garage that finally puked out after 3-4yrs (one remains in the photo) but have switched to a single 150w lamp that really kicks out the light. The sensor has a nice large sweep. ...but, mostly I like that it flashes three times before it stays on for the 5min I selected. It kicks butt when you walk into the beam at night. 'Throws a big glob of light. So far so good...

The issue: there is power to the lamp with the switch off; some LEDs are partially lit? I took my non-contact tester and see power in the cable near the lamp.

A) I know only enough to get-in-trouble. B) It seems color coded wiring changes at every county's border.

Still, it seems, simple enough: Red-Red ..three Whites ..Blk-Blk. ..even tho' the lamp uses Blue and Brown wires.

It's not the end of the world. I made it run for about 15min and checked the wiring with a non-contact thermometer to make sure I had not wired a 'toaster', but it is a puzzle I would like to solve.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim

Attached Images   
Old 07-11-19, 10:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,999 Upvotes on 3,589 Posts
The brown and blue polarity won't cause an issue.

Does power go to the sensor first and then to the light ?
If there is three wire cable involved...... having an always live line combined with a switch line in one sheath can keep the lights dim or partially lit.

Old 07-12-19, 01:58 PM
J
Thanks, PJ... Well ....three Whites connect together ... switch Red goes to fixture Black ... Black to house Black. ...at least that's how I have it written.

I do not have a clue about the difference between Neutral (white) and Hot (black). I gather it is some circular circuit ...but then I thought the lamp (or whatever) ate the current - and they send you a bill.

Jim

Jim

Old 07-14-19, 01:09 PM
J
That sounds logical, PJ. I will rewire it. (once it cools off a bit) Thanks.

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: