Light Fixture Wiring - Confused by different colours

Old 07-14-19, 08:12 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Light Fixture Wiring - Confused by different colours

Hi.

I live in a condo that was built around 2005, in Ontario, Canada, and I'm a bit confused with the colouring of the wiring for my light fixtures. I was hoping I could get some advice here.

Today, I went ahead and switched out the ceiling light fixture in my living room, and planned to install one in my bedroom(there wasn't one installed when I moved in).

When I unscrewed the existing living room light fixture, there 3 wires from the ceiling connected in the following manner:
(Ceiling)Beige wire > Black wire(Light)
(Ceiling)Orange wire > White wire(Light)
(Ceiling)Green wire > Copper wire(Light)

I put up the replacement fixture and wired it in the same way and it works fine, so I trust that it was correctly done.

Moving on to the bedroom, I was kind of expecting to see something similar. When I removed the cover for the box, I saw an array of red, green, turquoise, and a colour I would call mustard! There was a black and a grey wire up at the very top but they just ran in and out of the box.

There is only one light switch in the bedroom and that is the only box.

I can see that the green is ground but what should I be looking for to determine which is the correct wires to use?

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-19, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm a little confused. The Canadian wiring codes are very similar to ours. Ours only allow white to be used for neutral unless it's used as a switch leg. In your case..... it would appear you have a conduit system in the house with individual wires. Yellow should not have been used as a neutral.

Actually when I look IN the box I see white. Looks like the white wires were covered with paint or shellac.

Anyway..... you will connect your light white wire to those three white (yellowish) wires. The black from the light connects to the single red wire. The green is the ground.

joed voted this post useful.
Old 07-14-19, 09:14 PM
J
Received 516 Upvotes on 421 Posts
Those colours are not code for Ontario but I would connect as described above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: