Kitchen light - electrical box

Old 07-15-19, 03:32 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen light - electrical box

Hi,
I am doing some re-modeling of my kitchen. Above the window the last owners had a rectangular electrical box with live terminated wires as you can see in the attached. I assume this was for a light although there is no light switch.

My plan is to put a light back here rather than leave this ugly box. It looks like there used to be a round electrical box screwed to the wall at some point in the past. This was probably changed to allow a cupboard to be put there as this box was just below.

What is my best option? I would prefer not to have a box sticking out with a light attached to that. Its a plaster and lathe wall so I assume I should cut that out and recess a box there - but what is the best type of box to use and is this the approach I should be using?

Thanks for your help!

Name:  l1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  56.9 KB

Name:  l2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  51.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-15-19 at 09:49 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Old 07-15-19, 05:46 PM
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
Hi, that wiring appears to be old knob and tube, I would install a 4Ē round plastic old work box, it wonít be easy with the wood lath, if you donít need a fixture there just install a blank plate and paint it, if you do need a fixture then it will most likely need to have a pull chain switch.
https://www.acehardware.com/departme...it/boxes/32712
Geo

Old 07-15-19, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,399 Votes on 1,296 Posts
Yes..... that is definitely knob and tube wiring.
You should be looking to replace that outdated wiring as you make improvements to your house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: