Wiring an exhaust fan to turn on with either of two switches

Old 07-17-19, 02:49 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring an exhaust fan to turn on with either of two switches

What I'm wanting to do is have my bathroom fan turn on if either the bathroom light is on, or if the timer switch is on. Separately I can do it, or even a both switches have to be on. I can always just fall back to wiring the switch for both the light and the fan, but I'd like the option of having the fan on with the light off. I imagine a three-way switch would sort of work, but as far as I can tell that would just change their current operating status resulting in a christmas-light thing going on.

What kind of switches would I need to get and wiring for something like this to work?

Old 07-18-19, 05:59 AM
B
Received 303 Upvotes on 268 Posts
3 way switches will only work controlling 1 load. You have 2 loads to control. You still have many "what if " conditions to be decided. With 2 switches, each having on/off positions, there are 4 switch conditions to have the switches. Both on, both off, 1 on 2 off and 1 off 2 on.You need to define the 2 load status for each of the 4 conditions. What kind of a timer are you considering? One that runs 24/7 or something else?

Old 07-18-19, 11:09 AM
J
Received 517 Upvotes on 422 Posts
You would need a double pole switch so that the two loads can be kept separate on the light and fan combined switch. Then the fan timer can be in parallel with fan half of the switch and not affect the light.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: