LED lights Flash every 1 second.

Old 07-23-19, 07:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LED lights Flash every 1 second.

Hi, really hoping I can get an answer to this as its a frustrating problem that is ongoing.
I have a set of three lights (led) that are connected to a standard, non-dimming, switch. At first, it was the LED farthest from the switch that flashes (not flickers) at a rate of once per second (1 Hz ? I think? ). Then about 3 weeks after that the 2nd farthest from the switch started flashing at the same. Finally about a week after that, the 3rd LED did the same thing.

I have a multimeter and I have 118v going to the switch. But that is where my troubleshooting knowledge ends ?

Has anyone else encountered this? Or have any idea what is the cause?

Lithuania ultra-slim LED down lights. No issues with overheating or contact with insulation.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-19, 07:45 AM
Received 111 Votes on 101 Posts
Is it a lighted switch? Lighted switches pass a small current through the lights.

Old 07-23-19, 08:02 AM
Not a lighted switch. This has now started on a completely different circuit as well. The farthest LED downlight flashes every 1 second consistently. This circuit has 6 lights on it with a standard switch.

I'm #baffled and #noclue.
​​​​​​Thanks for your input.

Old 07-23-19, 11:11 AM
Received 42 Votes on 36 Posts
LEDs powered from AC use an ac/dc power supply. The power supply DC amps must equal or exceed the LED DC amp requirement. What is the electrical rating of the LED devices you have?

Old 07-23-19, 02:12 PM
the tag the back of the light says 0.09A and 10.5V.

120V. 60Hz. Type IC.

Old 07-24-19, 05:09 AM
Need clarification. Post 1 stated 3 lights and post 5 stated 1 light. Which is it? If you purchased this as a unit, what is the manufacturer and model?

Old 07-25-19, 01:21 PM
Hello again,

This circuit has 3 separate, individual LED ultra-slim downlights connected to a simple switch. Each are spaced 3 feet apart with the run from the switch to the farthest light around 14 ft. Closest light is about 5 ft.

The switch is approx 15-18 feet from the panel. So run length is not an issue as I see it.

These are IC rated LED's, but are not in contact with insulation and have a lot Air space above them.

I have approx 48 of these installed in my house on different circuits, some with 3 way dimmer switches and no issues.

Still perplexed.
Thank you in advance for your time and effort on this.

Old 07-26-19, 04:46 AM
Received 106 Votes on 97 Posts
Throw an ordinary incandescent bulb into one of the sockets. If it fixes the problem on the other, then it's asproblem as beelzebob stated.

Old 07-26-19, 06:22 AM
Each LED light has its own AC/DC power supply. In your circuit with the 3 LED lights connected to one switch the 3 power supplies are in parallel electrically. This changes the circuit impedance compared to a single LED light. Changes in circuit impedance affect the components in the power supplies, usually adversely. Are any of the other LED lights, connected in parallel, operating properly? Does the LED light manufacturer state if these devices can be connected in parallel? There was a recent post of guy who had a power strip with LED lights. The lights worked fine until he started plugging in loads to the power strip. Same problem there. Each loads plugged into the power strip changed the circuit impedance affecting the LED power supply. Try isolating (electrically) the LED light closest to the switch to see if the problem disappears.

Old 07-28-19, 09:27 PM
Thanks @beezelbob for your detailed answer and suggestions. They have connectors to string these in parallel I swapped out one of the new led downlight using the same driver as it was still hooked up: and the light works fine for now. I tested the old, flashing light on a different circuit and it flashes with another led driver ( same manufacturer ).
I'll keep playing with it and report back.

For the other member who posted, I have 11 of these same led downlight on a 3- way dimmer switch with no problems at all.

Thanks again for everyone's insight.