Wiring T5 ballast for Standard 120v/15A Outlet

Old 07-28-19, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring T5 ballast for Standard 120v/15A Outlet

Hello,
I am looking to re purpose these old T5 light fixtures. My main question is how do i wire them so i can simply plug them into standard wall socket. I checked my fuse box, the one for my outlets is 15A. The ballast says to only use 18AWG wire to work with it.

-Is it safe to assume white cable is hot, black is ground?
-and that these cables can be connected by murrets/soldering to a recycled male end, or is it crucial to use specified 18AWG wire all the way to the wall.
-What safety features should i look into buying. Re setting fuses or something to step down amperage?
-How to wire 4-6 lights together. Ballast says two per ballast.

I am not an electrician, but i have access to any tools to build pretty much anything.

looking to use these without burning down my house and don't want to resort to consulting an electrician unless absolutely necessary. Cheers!

Name:  lf1.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  lf2.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  lf3.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  45.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-29-19 at 06:14 PM. Reason: resized pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-19, 05:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
Black is hot, white is neutral and green is ground.

Since you want to plug this light into a socket you should use flexible cord like SJ and put a plug on the end. Since you will be using flex cord don't forget to use a strain relief where the cord enters your fixture. For connecting SJ to the light's wiring I would cut off the orange connector and use wire nuts since those push connectors don't work with stranded wire.

Old 07-29-19, 05:44 AM
Received 128 Votes on 116 Posts
Is it safe to assume white cable is hot, black is ground
NO. Black is hot. White is neutral. Green or bare is ground.

Old 07-29-19, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
How to wire 4-6 lights together. Ballast says two per ballast.
That's two tubes per ballast.

You can connect them in one long string with one power cord and plug.
The connections between the units must be safe and to code.

Old 07-30-19, 02:34 AM
Received 171 Votes on 159 Posts
Hopefully once your wiring questions are resolved your going to tell us that your repurpose of the fixtures is to throw out the ballast and bulbs and switch over to LED replacement bulbs.

You will not regret the clean, bright, energy efficiency they provide, now is the time to do it!

Old 08-04-19, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
*UPDATE*

So i forgot the murettes at the shop but was curious to make some progress. Just taped black to black, white to white, and there was a specific bolt on the fixture that was green, so that's where ground was screwed to. It lit up with no problems. Now looking towards attaching two bulbs/ballast.

Is it common that i would have to take a pair of snips and fashion the hole for new pair of connectors? Or is there a reason why it was not built that way. Either way that is what i am doing, then i am wiring three ballasts together. What would any professionals suggest as the maximum amount of ballasts/ power source? Looking at it now 4 in a row might be optimal.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  62.3 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 08-05-19 at 10:14 AM. Reason: resized/labeled picture
Old 08-05-19, 06:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
"...take a pair of snips and fashion the hole for new pair of connectors?" What hole? You should install a strain relief in one of the knock out holes in the light's metal housing. You pass your wire through the strain relief and make the electrical connections inside the light. You do not pass connectors through a hole. I would cut off their orange connector and just use wire nuts.

Old 08-05-19, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
I added a red arrow to the picture. That is a 1/2" electrical knockout size. It's removed by inserting a screwdriver and twisting it out. There should be one at each end.

If you are going to put the fixtures together..... end to end..... get some 1/2" chase nipples.
The nipple goes thru both fixtures and you put a locknut on it. Makes a clean burr free splice.

Name:  conduit-chase_nipples.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  9.6 KB