bath mirror light base hot to the touch

Old 08-06-19, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bath mirror light base hot to the touch

Hi,
I'm retired and working on an old house I bought, so I'm a new member and glad to have some help!

I replaced an old pull-chain wall light above the bathroom mirror with a small globe LED light but had to add a pull-chain to it. I ran the house black to one pull-chain wire, the other pull-chain wire to the light's black and the light's white to the house white. The light works fine but the metal base gets pretty hot to the touch. Doesn't seem right when LED's run cool. Any ideas or options?
Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-19, 01:01 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi, do you have a separate lamp in the fixture or is the fixture total LED? Some LED lamps are not rated for enclosed fixtures.
Post a pic of the fixture
Geo

Old 08-06-19, 03:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
I wonder if there is a loose connection getting hot.

Old 08-06-19, 05:31 PM
bath light base hot to the touch

Hey Geochurchi,
thank you for the response. I'll try to post a pic or two of the light's inner workings. The new fixture is a complete led unit with a frosted glass globe and a metal base (or collar) that sits flush against the wall. There is no bulb. Just a bunch of small flat squares that look like a circuit board producing the light. I drilled a hole in the base/collar and added the pull-chain switch to it. I wired it between the house black wire and the globe black wire. The pull chain switch unit sits inside the globe's base.
I also found a few comments online that say led lights have a "heat sink" to draw heat away from the bulb, but there is no bulb. There might be some kind of transformer that heats up in the base? It might no be compatible with a pull chain switch?

Someone else commented that there might be a loose connection heating up, so I'll double check all the wire nut connections.

Last edited by XDrummer; 08-06-19 at 06:32 PM. Reason: mis-spelled word.
Old 08-06-19, 07:02 PM
Received 16 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi, is the whole base hot all the way around? if so it probably is a heat sink, hot in one place could be a problem.
Geo

XDrummer voted this post useful.
Old 08-06-19, 07:35 PM
Thanks again,
Yes, it felt hot all the way around. I'm out of my comfort zone with "heat sinks", and it felt more than just really warm. Enough to concern me. It just seemed too hot to be against a painted wall. I think I'll rewire it without the pull chain and see what happens. If it still gets warm all the way around I'll just have to trust this new (to me) technology. I have a similar large, flat ("circuit board") type led kitchen ceiling light that I installed a few months ago so I'll check that out too.
Many many thanks,
Jim