Ceiling fan/light wiring

Old 08-13-19, 11:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling fan/light wiring

I have two rooms in the house where the ceiling fan lights dim with vacuum running. I looked at the wiring for outlets and tried with nothing else plugged in with same result. I took the face plates off the lights switches and these two rooms are wired differently than my other rooms with fans not experiencing this issue. In the affected rooms there is a red and black wire pushed into the back of the light switch with a second black wire wrapped around the screw post which then terminates at the fan switch. The fan switch has a second black wire plugged into it. Both are grounded. In the unaffected rooms there is only one red wire and one black wire on the light switch with the black wire shared between the light and fan switches. Can I just take the extra black wire out of the affected light switches and cap it? This is the only difference and think it is causing my lights to dim in the two rooms.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-19, 01:08 PM
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
NO you can not take the extra wire and cap it. Some thing will stop working.
What you can do is put both black wires and a short pigtail into a wire nut. Attach the pigtail to the switch where the two blacks were.