Replacing Incandescents with LEDS

Old 08-17-19, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I want to replace a 75 watt incandescent bulb in an exterior totally enclosed 9" diameter glass globe fixture with an LED bulb (75 watt equal).

Manufacturers labels indicate that 75 watt LED replacement bulbs should not be used in a totally enclosed fixture. Is this because a totally enclosed fixture will shorten the bulb life of an LED due to heat build up ......but will function for a period of time or is there a safety issue in using a LED bulb in an enclosed fixture of this type?

Is the heat output of a 75 watt incandescent bulb the same as, more or less than an LED bulb (75 watt equal)?

Looking for comments and suggestions.
I was hoping that this would be a simple bulb replacement......but maybe not?
Thanks Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-19, 10:54 AM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
Go ahead and use the LED bulb.

LEDs run MUCH cooler than incandescent bulbs-

A 75-watt incandescent is too hot to hold, while a 75-watt LED is merely warm.

Any light fixture that uses an incandescent bulb will have sufficient venting to work with a LED bulb.

Old 08-17-19, 12:11 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
Just to clarify the LED is NOT 75watts. It light output(lumens) is equal to 75 watt incandescent.. The LED is probably actually 11 watts.

The LED manufacturer doesn't want the LED in an enclosed fixture because of heat build up which will short the life of the LED. I do not believe it is any to do with safety.

Old 08-17-19, 12:45 PM
Received 91 Votes on 82 Posts
The LED manufacturer doesn't want the LED in an enclosed fixture because of heat build up which will short the life of the LED.
There is no heat build up, LED's are cool to the touch so this statement is false!

Old 08-17-19, 12:57 PM
Received 23 Votes on 19 Posts
The LED bulbs DO say "do not install in an enclosed fixture".

Everyone ignores this, because for the last 100 years, lightbulbs have been installed in enclosed fixtures without any problem.

Unless a light fixture is hermetically sealed. i.e. air-tight, you are not going to have any realistic chance of heat build-up. Also, the LED bulb WILL put out LESS heat than the incandescent bulb it is replacing. Therefore, if there WAS a problem, you'd already have encountered it when using the hotter running incandescent bulbs, (which probably had a "don't use in enclosed fixture" disclaimer on them, which everyone just ignores.

Old 08-17-19, 01:36 PM
Received 74 Votes on 68 Posts
The LEDs might be cool, but they have driver circuitry attached to them that does get warm.

Old 08-17-19, 04:01 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
You state the globe fixture with an LED bulb (75 watt equal) is exterior. Is it exterior to the house? LED bulbs with internal drivers do get hot, That is why there is a ceramic like coating on the bulb extending 1-2 inches up from the base.

Old 08-17-19, 04:32 PM
Wow............Thank you for all of the responses..!

I sincerely appreciate the advice. It has been my experience that I have to change the 75 watt incandescent bulb at least once or twice a year..........which means that this 76er has to get up on a six foot step ladder to remove the globe (winter and summer) and replace the bulb. It is my hope that I will get a couple of years out of an LED so I am going to take a chance and buy one.

Thanks again for helping me out..........you're the best..!
bob

Old 08-17-19, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 47 Posts
Is this because a totally enclosed fixture will shorten the bulb life of an LED due to heat build up ......but will function for a period of time or is there a safety issue in using a LED bulb in an enclosed fixture of this type?
That is correct. LEDs do produce heat (In some cases a lot depending on the lamp) and it is that heat that shortens their life. If you can find a lamp that is rated for an enclosed fixture they will last longer, but one that is not rated will just fail sooner.

Old 08-18-19, 02:17 PM

Tolyn Ironman..........moderator,

Thanks for jumping in..........I will look to see if I can find an LED bulb that is rated for an enclosed fixture............they must be out there ?? Stay tooned, I will be back to report if I do find one.

Just wondering too.........doesn't the glass globe also to some extent act as a heat sink and draw some heat out of the lighting fixture??
bob