Fluorescent Light Sometimes Needs a "Twist" To Come On

Old 08-27-19, 06:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent Light Sometimes Needs a "Twist" To Come On

I have a flourescent light fixture - Lithonia Model - New 2 32 120 RE BN - Age Unknown
2 T8 32W tubes..

Sometimes the bulb needs a "twist" to come on... 98% of the time it is one bulb... once it was both.. but a simple twist activates the lights.. Changed bulb seems to resolve issue for a while.. but comes back in pretty short order.

Reading online suggests that the "Tombstone" needs replaced. How do I get more info on replacement/compatibility.. or should I just replace the whole unit?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-19, 07:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
It's not the sockets. It's the reduced amount of mercury in the newer T8 tubes. These tubes aren't really compatible with the older style magnetic ballasts. A new electronic ballast would take care of your problem. You could probably even use the tubes that stopped working there.

However..... tubes are on the way out. There are many LED T8 replacements on the market. You can get direct replacements where you just install them with the ballast in place or you can get the type where the ballast is removed. I use them both.

I just bought some at the Depot and they were around $4 each. Quite a bargain and good light.