Problem using universal mounting bracket w octobox fixture box

Old 09-08-19, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Problem using universal mounting bracket w octobox fixture box

Trying to mount a new light on wall in the bathroom on an 4" light fixture box (the "octobox kind"). The light came with a round universal mounting strap, and the fixture is supposed to screw into the threaded holes of the strap closest to the edge of the bracket, but when I mount the bracket to the box, those holes align *exactly* over the edge of the fixture box itself (preventing the screws from going through). Am I missing something? I suppose I can file away a little off the edge of the box behind where the screws go through and shorten the screws a little bit. Is there any other solution to this? Here's a pic:

Name:  20190908_172622_sm.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  169.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-19, 05:21 PM
Received 84 Votes on 77 Posts
Don't know if it is code or not but I would just bend the edge of the box inwards a bit to clear the hole.

Old 09-09-19, 08:23 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Hi, I would assume that only 1 hole is the problem, you could maybe enlarge the holes a bit on the plate where the 8/32 screws mount to the box and slide the plate over enough, I guess do what ever it takes to clear the box, happens all the time, you would think by now fixture mfg’s would have figured it out.
Geo

Old 09-09-19, 09:11 AM
Thanks, Geo. Unfortunately, the electrician who put in the box left it maybe 1/8" proud of the wall. As a result, if the fixture is mounted anything other than exactly centered over the box, it won't go flush with the wall. But thanks for confirming that this is a problem with the design and in need of a workaround, rather than my own inability to figure out how it's supposed to work (which was equally possible). Annoying.

Old 09-09-19, 09:15 AM
Joed, I worry that it'll crack up the plaster around it if I get into trying to bend the box...but then my solution might do that also. (sigh.)

Old 09-09-19, 09:41 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Hi, another thing to try, thread the fixture screws into the plate so the heads would be up against the box, cut the heads off, and install the fixture, you will have to get a couple of nuts that match the fixture finish, but that shouldn’t be a problem, I believe HD or L’s have drawers of parts.

Geo

Old 09-09-19, 12:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Some times you can slightly move the fixture bar so that one screw goes in the box and one goes outside. If you can't do that..... then I agree with Joed.... bend the box in slightly using a pair of pliers.