basement lighting questions

Old 09-11-19, 08:53 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
basement lighting questions

I am rewiring my basement and have a number of things I am trying to figure out.
The basement is all wired on the same circuit, I have split the basement into 2 rooms, a bar and a laundry room. It is framed and I have ran the new switch for the laundry room. I still need to install the junction box off the main to control the laundry room separately.
In the bar I have installed all the recessed lighting that will consist of 1 dimmer switch that will control 2 recessed lights and 1 dimmer switch that will control 4 recessed lights. Currently there is 2 existing switches that control the stairway light and 1 light in the bar I will be replacing with a smoke detector.
Before wiring all of this I want to make sure I have a understanding of exactly what I need to do and my terminology is not very good... but here goes.
My plan is to run the main line of 12/2 to the switches in the 3 gang box and then out to the lights, which need to be wired together with 12/3 correct? Or do I need to run the 12/2 to each set of lights and then 12/3 between them and back to the switch which I believe is called a loop? The stairway light currently has a switch at the top and bottom of the stairs which I want to keep and is the 3rd in the gang box, not on a dimmer.
Side note: I have already ran 12/2 between all the recessed lights I want connected together, but after researching more I think this is wrong, if I can keep that bonus!

Please let me know if this all makes sense and what the correct way to finish this up is. I am getting this inspected so needs to be spot on.
Any diagrams or links to something similar would be great!
Thanks in advance.
Nick

Old 09-11-19, 09:17 PM
J
Received 463 Likes on 383 Posts
If you are bringing power to the switch box you do not have a switch loop. A 12/2 to the lights is all you need from each switch.
Basic light switch with power at switch

Old 09-12-19, 08:57 PM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
and i can connect multiple lights with just the 12/2 correct?
Thanks!

Old 09-13-19, 06:19 AM
J
Received 463 Likes on 383 Posts
Yes, just continue from light to light connecting black to black and white to white.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: