Troubleshooting a dead Vanity Light.

Old 09-30-19, 09:48 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Troubleshooting a dead Vanity Light.

We have a double vanity in our master bath. Above each sink is a fixture with multiple bulbs. Last year I replaced the dimmer switch, the old one stopped working. Last night one of the fixtures stopped working. I thought maybe my switch wouldn't carry enough wattage and couldn't remember the wattage rating. (Also the switch buzzed some with the lights on.) New switch installed with a 700 watt rating, same fixture still not working. Switched out a few bulbs, so not the bulbs, not the switch, pulled fixture off wall and checked wiring, all were still tight in the wire nuts. Bad fixture? What would cause the fixture itself to go bad? Anything else to double check before I pick up two new matching fixtures?

Old 09-30-19, 10:48 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
Just because the wirenuts are tight does not mean that they have a good connection.

Shut the power off and redo them.
Also they are probably fed from the good fixture so you will have to check in that fixture.

Old 09-30-19, 10:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,112 Upvotes on 1,891 Posts
I would use a volt meter to see how far power is getting. Once you know where the power stops you've got a good idea where the problem lies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: