3 way switch trouble shooting: No continuity in the traveler wire

Old 10-20-19, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 way switch trouble shooting: No continuity in the traveler wire

Hello,

I have a set up with a 3 way switch (A) and a dimmer (B) controlling hallway lights (see attached picture).

The switches were working fine both ways (as a three way should), till recently. As the light would not turn on, I thought the dimmer must have quit working, so I replaced the dimmer. HOWEVER, now the dimmer only works if the switch A is in ON position.

I tried troubleshooting the wires. Switch A has a live wire in the black screw position. The two travelers go to the dimmer in a separate cable, and are attached to the traveler wires of the dimmer.

The problem is one of the travelers does NOT carry current or show continuity (the other one does). I do not see any obvious splice or nick in the switch boxes at either end. No other work or repair was done in our home recently.

Any idea why this is happening or what it means?

Appreciate your time to read and reply

JK

(the attached pics was customized by me, based on examples shown by moderater Ray2047, so credit to him for the wiring diagram)

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-19, 08:34 PM
Received 87 Votes on 80 Posts
The problem is one of the travelers does NOT carry current or show continuity (the other one does)
Did you try flipping the other switch to see what happens? The voltage should flip between the travellers when you flip the other switch.