3 gang single pole light switches: wiring and outlets not working

Old 10-22-19, 08:12 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 gang single pole light switches: wiring and outlets not working

Hi guys!

Hopefully this won't be a mouthful, so my step dad helped me replace a ceiling fan in my master bedroom which had 3 single pole light switches to begin with. Well, the light turned on with one switch, the fan with the other, and the last one didn't do anything just like before. But then the next day I tried to plug in my laptop and no power to my master bedroom outlet, I checked them all and only 2 of 5 in my master are working. So I decided I'll survive I'll just use an extension cord no worries. Well now I am wanting to fix it so I opened up the 3 gang light switch box and its a mess. I am so confused on where everything goes. I have watched sooo many YouTube tutorials but no one has the same wires in the box as me, so its hard to follow. I have 2 (3 wire lines) and 2 (2 wire lines) coming into the box. One of the 3 wire line's black and red wire has been cut and the other 3 wire line has the red one cut and tied in to a black jumper? Sorry for the lengthy post but I am trying to explain as best as I could. I will post pictures in a moment!

Attached Images   

Last edited by Braeden; 10-22-19 at 09:09 PM. Reason: changed 3 and 2 wire
Old 10-23-19, 03:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Take a new picture and separate the black wires . If you can try to line black wires to where they enter box. Do you have any sort of volt tester? be careful as one of the black wires will be hot. What is under the orange wire nut?

Old 10-23-19, 04:34 AM
M
Received 294 Upvotes on 264 Posts
This may be a stupid question but why were you messing around with the switches when all you were doing was replacing a fan.
This is going to be a royal pain to figure out what has happened perhaps knowing what you were trying to do will help figure it out.
Talk to your step dad and with luck he will remember what was done.

If you do not have a meter and know how to use it then it is probably best to call in a pro to sort this mess out.

Old 10-23-19, 05:04 AM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
some testing is needed.
First thing connect all the black together and see if everything comes on.
Then disconnect one black and see what goes off. Tag the wire with a note.
If everything goes off that is the power feed. Put it back and try another wire. Do it again until you know what all the black wires are connected to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: