Flickering lights while using bidet

Old 10-24-19, 02:34 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flickering lights while using bidet

I installed a bidet in my bathroom.
Whenever I use the bidet, lights in a nearby room and dining room flicker.
How can I solve this problem? Do I need to change the bidet with lower power consuming one or circuit?
Thanks

Old 10-24-19, 06:54 PM
Received 156 Likes on 142 Posts
Hi, what is the amperage rating on the bidet?
Geo

Old 10-25-19, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,627 Likes on 1,461 Posts
I assume you mean a bidet toilet seat as traditional bidets don't consume any power. What bidet do you have?

You probably should have the bidet on it's own circuit. Mine has a small water tank and it's heater pulls 800 watts when on. Models without a tank heat the water when your using water and pull 1200 watts or more. That doesn't leave much extra capacity on a 15 am circuit for other items.

Old 10-25-19, 09:57 AM
J
Hi

Mine is Novita Slimline Bidet Toilet Seat Round Model BN-330S. It consumes 1400watts.
What do you mean by its own circuit? Do I need an electrician to do that? I'm kind of handy person but not expert in electricity. I want to try it my own if it's not that complicated. Thanks.

Old 10-25-19, 10:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
1'400 watts is near the maximum a normal 15 amp circuit can provide and leaves almost nothing left for anything else on that circuit. Probably why you see lights on that circuit dim when using the bidet.

Yes, you may need an electrician for a new circuit or you can DIY it. It would require adding a breaker to your electrical panel and running a wire to the toilet so a new outlet can be installed. Technically it's not a complicated job. The worst part is running the wire.

Old 10-26-19, 07:34 AM
J
Thanks. I want to try DIY for additional circuit. Is there any useful YouTube or info I can look up to?
I see two 30, one 15 and lot of 20 amps. I guess bidet is on that 15.

Is it possible that I just use one of 30 amp because in the kitchen only refrigerator is kind of big amp eater.

Old 10-26-19, 02:59 PM
J
I wonder whether I need to replace brakes panel, too.

Old 10-26-19, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
In order to add a circuit for the bidet..... you need to able to physically run the power cable from the panel to the bidet. If you can do that.... the job is not difficult. You would be running 12-2 NM-b w/ground (romex) cable.

There is nothing you can do to the existing circuit to increase its power handling. You are limited by the breaker and the wiring now in place. You cannot increase the breaker size.

You will need one extra space in your panel for a new 20A circuit breaker.

Old 10-27-19, 04:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Do you have a blank space in your breaker panel for another breaker? If yes, you will need a 20 amp, single pole breaker of the type/brand that will fit your panel. You will also need a length of 12-2 NM cable (it might be yellow in color) to go from the breaker panel up to your outlet. You'll need a strain relief for where the cable passes through the wall of your electrical panel and an old work electrical box, GFCI outlet and outlet cover.

The hardest part of the job will be running the wire from your bath to your electrical panel and will totally depend on the layout of your house. It's probably not a bad job if you have an unfinished basement or crawl space where you can easily run the wire.

This is a old work electrical box. You cut a hole in your bathroom wall the size of the box. Feed your electrical cable into the box then shove the box into the hole in the wall. When you tighten the two mounting screws little arms swing out and catch on the back side of the sheetrock or plaster and tighten against the wall to hold the box in place.

Old 10-29-19, 05:26 PM
J

I think I have some space for additional breaker as shown in the below picture.
There is space in the bottom.

Is there anything else other than a breaker and cabling?
Thanks

Old 10-29-19, 05:54 PM
P
Group Moderator
From the picture it looks like your subpanel is full. Are there unremoved spots on the cover or have they all been removed?

This panel has two spots available. One on each side. You can see where the metal tab can be broken out for two more breakers.

Old 10-29-19, 06:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,161 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Your pictures are hosted at your google picture storage area. They are private pictures now and cannot be seen here. Either reset them to public or post them here....... How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 10-30-19, 05:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
I got a look at the photos before they disappeared. I forgot to mention that if your subpanel is full you can swap one of your standard 20 amp single pole breakers for a 20 amp double breaker. This allows two circuits to occupy only one slot in the panel and allow you to run a new circuit for the bidet.

Old 11-01-19, 10:20 AM
J
I checked every breaker to see how each breaker is used. I found one 20a breaker is solely dedicated to 6.5a max(715w) refrigerator. I found another 20a which doesn’t seem to be used at all but no idea where the cable goes. I’m not the owner of this place.

My bidet consumes max 1400w. I thought 20a associated with the refrigerator can manage the bidet as well. Please let me know whether I’m right or wrong. I plugged in an extension to the dual outlets for the refrigerator and led it to the bidet. Now it seems everything is fine without any flickering.

If I can get some info on cabling of current breakers from my land lord. I will try to install or use spare 20a. Thanks.

Old 11-01-19, 12:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
A bathroom circuit can not be shared outside the bathroom. So, inside the bathroom you can have multiple outlets on one 20 amp circuit but you can't have an outlet in the bathroom and one outside the bathroom on the same circuit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: